The following tasks belong to the category UTILITY:
In parentheses the name of the source file is given.
- Calculate expressions (using variables) and exercise GIPSY
- Converts datavalues to BLANK and vice versa. CBLANK
also checks whether the data are legal (i.e. it checks
for NaN's etc. and replaces them by BLANKS).
- Create C-code for simple programs
- Control language for use with Hermes.
- Creates a SET (and subsets)
- Write positions (GRIDS and PHYSICAL coordinates), pointed
with an interactive graphics cursor in a GIDS overlay, to
screen or ASCII file. Write also (interpolated) image
- Delete sets
- DISK lists the contents of the current directory and
lists some properties of GIPSY sets.
- Loads a Digitized Sky Survey FITS file into a GIPSY set.
- Copy set and extend new set with one or more axes.
Change size of set.
- Fit a set of data points (Xi,Yi) to a model, that depends
nonlinearly on its parameters, using a Chi-squared
- Add, change, delete or list item(s) in set header
- Interactive function plotting utility.
- Put GDS image data in ASCII file and vv. Use a format
for the numbers. Add (physical coordinates) to the data
if in 'export' mode.
- Get image values at given positions in a set
- Display header information
- Display purpose lines or categories or complete
documentation of tasks (subroutines and general
items). Data can be directed to printer also.
- read, or update history or comment in set header
- Initializes the display for GIPSY applications.
- List FITS files on a tape
- MINBOX calculates the smallest box in a (sub)set,
outside which only blanks exist and creates an output
set with the calculated box size. It stores the box
in physical coordinates in the header of the set.
- Copies selected files from one tape device to another
tape device. Tape device can be a real tape unit or a
directory on disk.
- Lists files on a tape device.
- Displays the GIPSY news items.
- Plot PGPLOT's marker- and Hershey symbols
- Plot the intensity along a line through a set.
- print part of a (sub)set on terminal/printer.
- Generate random numbers from various distributions.
Add noise to sets. Write random numbers to an (ascii)
file on disk.
- Recover a corrupt GDS set
- Create an output map with different grid along one axis.
- Renames a GDS set.
- Build and execute a GPLOT input file that plots
contours per level for different subsets. The contours
can be an overlay on a set.
- reports ( the fix of ) a bug or a wish
- Rewinds a tape.
- Load FITS files from tape into a GIPSY set.
- list header elements ( descriptors ) and their level in grids
- Program to scale the data in subsets by a factor and an
- Skips files forward or backward on tape.
- Interactive coordinate transformation utility.
- Transformation between equatorial, galactic, ecliptic and
- Replace values by a box with other values e.g.
for removing a bad perimeter of an velocity field.
- GIPSY Table maintenance program
- Transform a (sub)set using rotation, scaling, translation etc.
- Writes disk set and subsets onto magnetic tape (or disk)
in FITS format.