All Task Documents
Below is a list of all tasks.
In parentheses the name of the source file is given.
- View Set, subset in perspective
- Add a series of input subsets and one or another
series of subsets.
- Selects one of the tasks SUB, MUL, ADD, or DIV
- Calculate beam width (Full Widths at Half Maximum) and
position angle of synthesized beam.
- Snip AO-scan into seperate legs
- Determine the sky-projection parameters CRVAL, CDELT,
CRPIX and CROTA
- Swap first and second axis of 2-dim (sub) set
and/or change the sign of the grid separation.
- Conditional transfer of maps using blotch region.
- Calculate expressions (using variables) and exercise GIPSY
- Converts datavalues to BLANK and vice versa. CBLANK
also checks whether the data are legal (i.e. it checks
for NaN's etc. and replaces them by BLANKS).
- This program cleans maps or lines.
- Blank values of input if they are outside range.
- Create C-code for simple programs
- Control language for use with Hermes.
- Loads a COLOUR Look Up Table in GIDS. This LUT can be
activated with the USER button in the COLOR menu.
- Combine sets to create new sets using mathematical
- Transfer values if test value within certain range.
- Removes continuum from channel maps by fitting a
polynomial to the continuum channels.
- Converts user supplied coordinates into physical coordinates.
- Program to copy set and subsets. It can also increase or
decrease the frame size of the subsets. BLANKs will be
written in the output set outside the original subset frame.
- Check whether there is a correlation between two maps
- Create contour-, gray scale- and colour plots.
Provide basic drawing routines.
- Creates a SET (and subsets)
- Write positions (GRIDS and PHYSICAL coordinates), pointed
with an interactive graphics cursor in a GIDS overlay, to
screen or ASCII file. Write also (interpolated) image
- Decrease size of a set in any direction with an
- Delete sets
- Program to copy set and subset. It will only copy the subset
axes to the output set, so you can diminish the dimensionality
of a set.
- DISK lists the contents of the current directory and
lists some properties of GIPSY sets.
- Divides a series of input subsets by one or another
series of subsets.
- Loads a Digitized Sky Survey FITS file into a GIPSY set.
- Program to edit data in a set.
- Programme fits an ellipse to an user defined bunch of points.
- Integrate map in elliptical rings. Write statistics
to log file, Ascii file or GDS table.
See also: Supplementary documentation. (ellint.c)
- Create an output set with profiles extracted from an
input set at positions in subsets that are either
1) defined by ellipses, 2) entered manually or
3) entered with the graphics cursor.
- Enhance image (Local enhancement method)
- Copy set and extend new set with one or more axes.
Change size of set.
- This program does a two-dimensional Fast Fourier Transform
on a (pair of) map(s). Maximum map size is 2048 x 2048.
- Fitting and subtraction of 2-D gaussians
- Fit a set of data points (Xi,Yi) to a model, that depends
nonlinearly on its parameters, using a Chi-squared
- Add, change, delete or list item(s) in set header
- Adds the keywords OBS and SCANTYPE to the header
if these are not present. This is neccessairy since
these keywords have lately been added to the
standard keyword-list at snip level and IRDS_EXTEND
and IRDS_ENQUIRE_SNIP have been adapted to this.
- Apply a flat field correction to a map by fitting a
2-D polynomial to the background.
- Program to calculate flux in user defined box.
- Interactive function plotting utility.
- Making model observations of the HI gas in a spiral galaxy.
- Find position or major-, minor axis and position angle of
sources by fitting 2 dim. gauss function parameters to
data in a box..
- Making the full datacube of the results of a gaussfit.
- Put GDS image data in ASCII file and vv. Use a format
for the numbers. Add (physical coordinates) to the data
if in 'export' mode.
- Get image values at given positions in a set
- Mark user supplied positions in a graphics plane of GIDS.
- General macro based plot program for interactive use
of PGPLOT subroutines and the Gipsy Data Subsystem (GDS).
See also: The GIPSY Recipes Book . (gplot.c)
- Calculates the gradients or the laplacian of a
map, using three by three sized templates.
- Display header information
- Display purpose lines or categories or complete
documentation of tasks (subroutines and general
items). Data can be directed to printer also.
- master control program for GIPSY.
See also: Hermes. (hermes.src)
- derive fluxes and standard deviations from HIRAS images
- Program creates histogram of intensities in a set
or part of a set.
- read, or update history or comment in set header
- imager and/or destriper for IRAS
- Initializes the display for GIPSY applications.
- Program to insert (multiple) (parts of) a set into another
- INSPECTOR writes slices through a 3d GIPSY data cube.
It overlays radial HI velocities (i.e. 'tilted ring'
circular velocities) on velocities in XV diagrams and
lets you adjust the tilted ring parameters to get a
See also: INSPECTOR Supplementary documentation. (inspector.src)
- Tests the speed of disk io.
- Program to calibrate IRAS data sets.
- Extract projected sky positions from positions
in an IRDS set.
- Generate a test IRDS
- List FITS files on a tape
- Generate a calibrated LRS spectrum from data in an IRDS
- Program to calculate the mean of a number of subsets.
- Calculate median of data from set, file, table or
- Merges a number if IRDS's.
- Apply a median (or average) filter to a (sub)set
- MINBOX calculates the smallest box in a (sub)set,
outside which only blanks exist and creates an output
set with the calculated box size. It stores the box
in physical coordinates in the header of the set.
- Mirrors a two-dimensional image in x, y or both. It can
also rotate the image over +90 or -90 degrees.
- This program finds the minimum and maximum value in a
subset or part of a subset. It also counts the number
- Program to calculate moments and other properties
of a profile
- Copies selected files from one tape device to another
tape device. Tape device can be a real tape unit or a
directory on disk.
- Lists files on a tape device.
- Multiplies a series of input subsets with one or
another series of subsets.
- Displays the GIPSY news items.
- GIPSY master control program for a non interactive environment
- Provide user communication and process control functions
to GIPSY programs.
- Find and analyze isolated (extended) structures in
- Find data values at positions of blanks interpolating the
data in a small volume around the blanks.
- Corrects maps for primary beam correction
- Demonstrates PGPLOT.
- snips raw data from tape(s) to custom plate
- Plot PGPLOT's marker- and Hershey symbols
- Plots raw IRAS scans
- Automatic point source extractor. Uses a histogram
method to determine the zerolevel and the noise in
- Plot the intensity along a line through a set.
- print part of a (sub)set on terminal/printer.
- Interactive estimation of width of global profile.
(No fitting involed)
- Creates an integrated line profile over a selected
area of an input data cube
- Interactive fit of 2-D gaussians
- QPLOT plots an one dimensional slice through a set.
- Derive radial surface density distribution from a 2-dim
total HI map using the 'Lucy method'.
- Solves the radial surface density distribution from a strip
integral of the brightness distribution. USE PROGRAM
RADIAL AS FRONT END FOR RADPROF.
- Generate random numbers from various distributions.
Add noise to sets. Write random numbers to an (ascii)
file on disk.
- Add BPHF information to an existing IRDS
- Recover a corrupt GDS set
- Review the geometrical component of a model galaxy
by fitting surface densities in (user supplied) tilted
- Create an output map with different grid along one axis.
- Renames a GDS set.
- Render 2d- and 3d GIPSY data and display 2d-slices at any
See also: RENDER render 2d and 3d GIPSY data. (render.c)
- Build and execute a GPLOT input file that plots
contours per level for different subsets. The contours
can be an overlay on a set.
- reports ( the fix of ) a bug or a wish
- Reproject a spatial map into another map with a different
- This program restores the residuals created by CLEAN.
- RESWRI derives the kinematical parameters from the observed
velocity field by fitting tilted-rings to the velocity field
and fits harmonic terms after convergence of the ROTCUR part of
code. RESWRI uses the 1 sigma error-field to calculate its
- Rewinds a tape.
- Load FITS files from tape into a GIPSY set.
- list header elements ( descriptors ) and their level in grids
- ROTCUR derives the kinematical parameters from the observed
velocity field by fitting tilted-rings to the velocity field.
- Interactive modeling of rotation curves
- This program calculates the rotation curve for a truncated
exponential disk (Casertano, M.N.R.A.S., vol. 203,
p735-p747, 1983), or for any other user supplied density
law. It can also calculate the rotation curve for a
- Program to scale the data in subsets by a factor and an
- Add IRAS data with respect to a reference point (ADDSCAN)
- The programme shuffles profiles in a set so that they are
aligned on positions taken from another set.
- SIGDET (SIGnal DETection)
- Separate signal from noise in image.
- Skips files forward or backward on tape.
- Interactive coordinate transformation utility.
- Transformation between equatorial, galactic, ecliptic and
- Make a slice through a set
- Smooth sets with a gaussian beam
- Replace values by a box with other values e.g.
for removing a bad perimeter of an velocity field.
- Generate a test IRDS
- Program to calculate elementary statistics in user
- Store a set displayed in GIDS in a user supplied
- Subtract one or a series of subsets from another
series of subsets.
- Program to add a number of subsets.
- GIPSY Table maintenance program
- file containing default help display for tHermes.
- GIPSY master control program for ASCII terminals
- TRACE plots image values at user given positions
as function of distance to a plot centre (in 2-d
- Plots the track of a number of snips for a number
- Transform a (sub)set using rotation, scaling, translation etc.
- Load UV data from tape into a GIPSY set.
- Calculates model velocity field from input parameters
given by the user.
- Program does a one dimensional smoothing of subsets.
- Displays two dimensional images.
- Copies snips to an irds (or part of it), or removes snips.
It will also remove snips which occur more than once in
- Writes disk set and subsets onto magnetic tape (or disk)
in FITS format.
- XGAUFIT estimates parameters for multi component one
dimensional gauss functions using data in selected
profiles. It can use these estimates to fit the
parameters to the data in a least squares fit.
Output is send to subsets in a set.
- Fit parameters of a standard Gauss function,
the Gauss-Hermite series or
a Voigt lineshape to data from GIPSY sets or ASCII files
See also: XGAUPROF Supplementary documentation. (xgauprof.src)
- zodiacal emission calibration program