Disbandment of FITS regional committees

From: Mark Calabretta <mark_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:19:57 +1100

Dear members of AusFITS,

In early 1980s, the North American, European, Japanese and,
somewhat later, the Australasian Regional FITS committees were
constituted to review proposed changes to the FITS standard in
light of the requirements of Astronomical institutions in their
respective regions.

In pre-internet days international communications were typically
conducted by postal mail, or else by telex at best
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telex for the younger of you).
However, since the late 1990s it has become a less than optimal
way to conduct international business. Thus, there is a strong
move afoot to disband all of the regional FITS committees.

The way things stand now, proposals to change FITS are discussed
openly on fitsbits. To be incorporated into the standard, they
must first be accepted by the regional committees, then endorsed
by the IAU FITS Working Group (IAUFWG). Procedings are overseen
by the FITS Executive Committee (FEC). The new proposal would
simply eliminate the regional committees and the need for their
acceptance of any change. Currently, the chairman of each
regional committee also serves on the FEC. That would also have
to change.

In my opinion this move is overdue by about 15 years. Moreover,
the majority of the world's population remains unrepresented in
any FITS regional committee. That includes China, India, South
Africa, and many others who have already developed, or are
developing a presence in astronomy.

The full text of the proposed changes may be consulted at

  http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/FITS/Proposal/newrules.html

As I see it, the only slightly controversial aspect of the
proposal relates to how the FEC would be constituted, but that
is really a separate issue.

In summary, AusFITS would be dissolved, along with all of our
memberships in it. Please contact me if you can see any reason
why this should not be done. The matter is soon to be discussed
on fitsbits: