Fwd: SOC email

From: <Kate.Brooks_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:06:55 +1000

 Hi all,

Please find below my comments.

Thanks,
Kate

1) A dedicated educational session. This has been supported by the
ASA's Education and Public Outreach Committee (EPOC), and will be run
by Nick Lomb (Chair of the EPOC). What we have to decide upon is a
request that speakers in this session be given the flexibility to also
present a scientific paper, the argument being that if forced to give
only one presentation then an attendee will choose to present their
science paper. So we need to decide whether people can give two papers
at the ASM, and if so do we cap that at some number (with the proviso
that one of the papers be education-related)? Nick has said that there
are already 3 people who wish to give two papers. Assuming that a whole
session cannot be filled by 15 min talks, Nick has also suggested a
panel discussion.

- I think speakers should certainly be given the flexibility to present
a paper in the educational session as well as a paper in the scientific
sessions. Can we be certain of a enough interest in the audience to
attend an Educational session and in particular a discussion forum? You
may want to contact Rob Hollows, the ATNF outreach person
(Robert.Hollow_at_csiro.<!--nospam-->au) for a contribution.

2) A dedicated Gemini results session. This was suggested by a senior
member of the ASA Council. The main reason (I believe) is that the ARC
is funding Australia's involvement in Gemini, and we as a community
should be pro-active in "advertising" the good science we get from
Gemini.

- I like this idea and would like to learn more about how the
Australian Gemini time is put to good use.

3) A discussion forum on the future of the Publications of the
Astronomical Society of Australia (PASA). Again, this was suggested by
a senior member of the ASA Council. Apparently the cost to the ASA
(paid to CSIRO) is fairly substantial, and the question of cost-benefit
is being raised.

- I second Tony Wong's comments. There was certainly a keen interest in
this topic when Tony raised it at our last ATNF/AAO Director's morning
tea.

4) A session/discussion forum on Women in Astronomy. This was suggested
by Sarah Maddison, as a prelude to her and Anne Green going to the 2006
IAU GA in Prague. Anne and Sarah are co-Chairs of the IAU Working Group
on women in astronomy. Sarah suggested a lunch-time slot.

- I fully support this idea. Though, if we do opt for a lunch-time slot
then we must make sure we do not limit ourselves to a female-only
audience. I once went to a discussion forum on Women in Astronomy with
Vera Ruben as the guest speaker. She was fantastic and had lots of good
advice to give on how to encourage a better gender balance in the
astronomy work force. The audience at the forum included many senior
male astronomers who actually had the power to put some of Vera's
suggestions into action.