Aus-VO IAU demos.

From: <dbarnes_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:06:10 +1100 (EST)

Hi all,

it is about time to start thinking about what the various
Aus-VO sub-projects might like to demo at the IAU in Sydney. I have
only just been attached to discussions regarding space for
demos etc and it seems that the plan is for many of the VO
efforts (AVO, AstroGrid, NVO, ...) to get together and rent a
largish space which we'll share for our demos. This I think
is a nice idea and will give excellent visibility to all of the demos.

My initial list of what demo-able things might exist at the
time of the IAU, and in good time so that they are *robust*
demos, is roughly:

o 2dF registered and queryable via CDS (AAO?)
o HIPASS catalogue ditto (Melb)
o Basic demo of Aus-VO portal based on AstroGrid infrastructure,
  probably using HIPASS and/or SUMSS data (Melb, Syd?)
o Grid/web services demo with AstroGrid guys showing server-based
  visualisation service (volume rendering) [contingent upon finding
  the right person to adapt existing s/w] (Melb, Swin?, AstroGrid, ATNF?)
o just started discussions with NVO regarding including an Australian
  site and survey in their grid demo at IAU (???)
o java-based visualisation infrastructure (ATNF?)
o machine-learning catalogue matching (Qld?)

Please think about whether the project you're involved in for
Aus-VO might be demo-able and let me know. I'll compile a
list and then we can trim it down as necessary according to
time/space/practicality restrictions. Some idea of what
workstation/network resources you'd need to execute your demo
would be useful for me too.

thanks - David.