Fwd: Fwd: Approval of APAC Grid Project Plans

From: <dbarnes_at_email.protected>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:36:58 +1000

Hi all,

I'm very pleased (and relieved) to report that the APAC
Grid Support Project in Astronomy has been approved.

The resources forthcoming from APAC, via the state
partners ANU, AC3 and VPAC, will enable the appointment
of at least 3 programmers whose efforts will be solely concentrated
on provided Grid-based infrastructure for astronomy in
Australia. This will enable our ARC LIEF funded Aus-VO
program to focus more specifically on the astronomy aspects
of Aus-VO, rather than the technical details. Aus-VO, and
more generally the entire Australian astronomy, are the nominated
user community for for APAC Grid Support Project in Astronomy.

Initially the project will run for a period of one year, with
likely extension to three years. The supported institutions
may vary in years two and three.

The project proposal (description) is available from the following
web page:

http://www.apac.edu.au/project_proposals

The research leader for the project is me (David Barnes), and
Jon Smillie (ANU) is the project leader. We have a small
"steering committee" whose membership may vary. The exact
roles of these three entities are yet to be determined.

I should like to thank all those involved in preparing the
application for support, and especially those who were prepared
to, or indeed had to, "miss out" this year for various reasons.
I also thank the participating groups in advance for their
in-kind contributions.

I look forward to reporting back to the Aus-VO community as we
make the new appointments and get underway with this year's
work in the APAC Grid Support Project in Astronomy.

 - David Barnes.