Aus-VO minutes (correction)

From: <djr_at_email.protected>
Date: 12 Oct 2004 09:22:00 +1000

I left a couple of things out of the last minutes. If any institution
would like to include a summary of their work, please forward it to me.

Cheers,
David

Aus-VO Access Grid Meeting
Friday Sep 10 2004 10:00

Minutes (DR)
Chair (DB)

Attendance
  Geraint Lewis
  Neil Killeen
  Malte Marquarding
  Tara Murphy
  Anil Chandra
  Praveena Tokachichu
  Robert Power
  Jason Ozolins
  David Barnes
  Rachel Webseter
  Warwick Couch
  Jon Smille
  David Rohde
  David Abramson
  Jagan Kommineni
  Marcus Gallagher

Appologies
  Chris Tinney

1. Projects at different institutions

Melbourne (DB)
--------------

Since June, the following has been accomplished at Melbourne:

- GridSphere-based portal installed by Barnes, documented, ready
  to hand over to Swinburne under APAC Grid Program. Paper was
  submitted to a conference, but only ~30 of 180 submitted papers
  were accepted so Srikumar Venugopal, our colleague in Comp Sci
  at Melbourne, is rejigging the paper for submission to the
  AusGrid conference.
- Katherine Manson has been hired on the APAC Grid Program and
  has been with us for two weeks now. Kathie's main task will be
  developing techniques and tools to enable the publication of
  astronomy data on the Grid, described with VO metadata.
- We have continued exploring potential uses of technologies
  developed at Monash.

ATNF (Kileen)
-------------

Staff
  New Emerging Scienmce Postdoc to start later this year. Work area
    will be automatic source characterization in images
VO Services
  The quanta web service is ready for deployment (waiting on h/w)
  The measures web service will be completed by a summer student

Remote Visualization System (RVS)
  New client written
  Ready to be deployed to ATNF archives (awaiting h/w)
  Next major target is to make RVS publicly available (i.e. so
   others can deploy it as they wish) by Dec 2004
                                                                                ATCA Online Archive (ATOA)
  ICT Centre can no longer support the ATOA. ATNF will take it over
     by mid November.
  Release of public interface to ATOA (downloads) deferred until then

ATCA Pipeline
  ICT CEntre has developed algorithms to reverse engineer
    the associational meta data. ATNF will take over this s/w
  Functionality is single pointing continuum so far
  Has been integrated with ATOA
  Release deferred until archive transferred to ATNF

UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
------------------------

Our work on applying machine learning to catalogue matching has resulted
in one paper presentation at the Intelligent Data Engineering and
Automated Learning (IDEAL) conference. Another paper targeted at MNRAS
is being drafted.

Matching Tool Specification has been completed and we are ready to
proceed with developing it. (a request was made to put this spec on the
WIKI).

Marcus Gallagher, has been on Sabbatical in Edinburgh, Collaborating
with Bob Mann and Emma Taylor (astronomy) and Amos Storkey and Chris
Williams (informatics) on the matching problem.

CSIRO ICT
---------
Currently winding down involvement in ATCA online archive
and transferring data and development to ATNF.
Completed Catalogue Cross Matching. Reports and code
available via ICT Centre at: http://www.ict.csiro.au/.
There will be a vacation student project to port the
code to a Beowulf cluster.
This work forms the basis of our current activity:
Search for rare and unusual objects. This will be a generic
distributed query processing framework for searching large
databases and the initial demonstrator will be to search
for rare and unusual astronomical bodies in distributed
collections of astronomical databases.

*** NO OTHER WRITTEN REPORTS RECEIVED ***

2. Aus-VO Workshop 2004 (Barnes)

18-19 of November &#64; Melbourne

Clash with a NVO function, meaning that it is difficult to get US
visitors.

Bob Mann from Edinburugh will attend and present two talks.

There is a draft web page for the Science topics

Science Topics :
* Data access layer - existing implementations, or standards to be
implemented
* Theory
* Visualisation
* Integration, services and registries, and certificates

Neil suggested that we need a more formal approach to talking about
the projects of various institutions. Barnes to include in program.

The location for the meeting will be Melbourne, a registration fee
will be associated with going to pay for food and speakers.

Groups are encouraged to invite speakers. International or outside
dicipline.

3. Aus VO What happens beyond LIEF? (Webster)

APAC Funding in place, covers about half what we do.

The other major contribution is LIEF, with some other sources for
example CSIRO. An application is currently being considered by the
ARC for the continuation of LIEF funding in 2005.

We need to consider how the project will be funded in 2006. We will
have on-going funding from APAC which will cover the provision of data
warehousing. Melbourne will be unable to lead a 2006 VO LIEF grant,
as we expect to direct our limited resources to another project (which
will be a little related to VO).

The purpose of this item is to ask groups to think about funding for
2006. Are there other possible avenues of funding for the project?
Would another group be interested in leading a LIEF grant?

In addition, the project would benefit from additional support in the
coordination of effort within Australia and internationally. Could
groups give consideration to the appointment of a deputy VO scientist
to support David.

Action: Groups to consider funding options for 2006; to be discussed
at the Aus-VO workshop in November.
Action: Groups to consider possible candidates for the position of
deputy VO scientist; to be discussed at the Aus-VO workshop in
November.

4. Forthcoming Meetings

* Ausgrid, which is part of Australian Computer Science Week.
Good to have representatives there.
Aus-VO will present two papers
one on MACHO and the other on theory portals.

* David Rohde NVO Summer School

* Tara Murphy IVOA Small Projects Meeting and then the regional VO
meeting
in late September

* Anil Chandra will go to ADASS (Oct 2004) to present RVS

* Aus-VO might have a booth at SuperComputing 2004 with a small VO
component

5. 2005 Science Demo (Barnes)

AVO have a yearly science demo, which is a huge effort.

It improves the profile of the virtual observatory in astronomy and in
e-science.

What projects will be ready for 2005?

Tara Murphy : It is a good idea, but should be done well, don't want
to create a bad impression.

It will probably consist of two or three little demos, so high risk
projects can be removed.

Data mining or visualisation of MACHO might be interesting.

Action: people to think about coordinated demos and what we could
accomplish.

Meeting Finish
The meeting finished at 11.30

The next meeting will be at the workshop 18-19 Nov.