SDSS data release 3 - any Oz users?

From: <dbarnes_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:43:29 +1000

Hi folks,

Data release 3 of SDSS has been offered to us, to be transported
via high bandwidth Pacific links. Does anyone (know of anyone who)
use(s) SDSS data regularly and would benefit from an Australian
"mirror" / access node? Please advise if so.

We've had DR1 sitting on the mass store at ANU for nearly a year
now, and have never found (or likely justified) the resources
needed to actually host and provide access to the data products.
It requires a reasonably powerful PC, with > 1GB RAM and Microsoft
Server and SQL Server installed. None of the national / partner
facilities really offer this sort of machine and we'd have to
procure one ourselves some how.

 - David.