Re: [pafska] PAFSKA teleconf 27 April 21 UT - details & outline agenda

From: <Lisa.Harvey-Smith_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:23:40 +1000

Steve,

If I may comment on this, Memo 125 states that the baseline SKA_1 design is fully open to the technologies of the advanced instrumentation program. There are some system design assumptions included in Memo 130 that do not agree with those in Memo 125, for example the dishes are assumed to have an upper frequency of 2GHz rather than 3 GHz. They then contradict themselves In section 10.1 of Memo 130, saying that the dish array will work from 450 MHz to 3 GHz.

In section 10.1 of Memo 130 they also say:
 the development of these [AIP] technologies will run in parallel with the continued design and roll-out of Phase 1 until early 2016, when a decision will be made on whether they will be incorporated into Phase 2.
o Note that by 2016, Phase 1 will be partially rolled out, and major changes in Phase 1 design will not be possible. However, it may be possible to equip Phase 1 with some AIP technology if the design and funding allows.
o An assessment of whether PAFs can be incorporated into Phase1 will be made in 2014.

In other words, Memo 130 is non-committal and contradicts itself in several places.

I suggest we all continue to work hard and prove that PAFs are an extremely valuable and viable technology choice for SKA_1.

Regards,

Lisa