vt001h - apologies

From: <sellings_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:54:49 +1100 (EST)

Hi Steven,
         I understand that Hobart and Ceduna observed at the wrong
frequency for the first 40 minutes or so of vt001h last night. I'd just
like to apologise as that was my fault, I didn't read your second email
(or didn't read it closely enough) when I was preparing the information
for observers at Hobart.

-- the rest of this message is addressed to all LBA observers :

         I think that we have made some big steps in the right direction
since our last LBA operations meeting, but think that this problem
highlights again our need to better standardise the setups we use. John
Dickey is currently experiencing his first LBA week and pointed out to me
that having the details of the setups spread through dozens of email
messages is a recipe for mistakes and confusion. John suggested a central
web page containing the vital setup information, its something which
should be relatively easy to setup and maintain and means that an observer
at any telescope can check it at any time.

It seems to me that as we move towards a mode of operating using both the
S2 and disk-based systems we are increasing the potential complexity
significantly. In my opinion we need to think carefully and define a
limited number of well defined standard modes of operation that cover the
majority of experiments, otherwise we risk increased failure rates. This
perhaps could be something for discussion at the next operations meeting?

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Lecturer in Physics/Radio Astronomy, University of Tasmania
email : Simon.Ellingsen_at_utas.edu.au