Re: vt001h - apologies

From: <Tasso.Tzioumis_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:28:52 +1100 (EST)

Hi Simon,

>-- the rest of this message is addressed to all LBA observers :
>
>I think that we have made some big steps in the right direction
>since our last LBA operations meeting, but think that this problem
>highlights again our need to better standardise the setups we use. John
>Dickey is currently experiencing his first LBA week and pointed out to me
>that having the details of the setups spread through dozens of email
>messages is a recipe for mistakes and confusion. John suggested a central
>web page containing the vital setup information, its something which
>should be relatively easy to setup and maintain and means that an observer
>at any telescope can check it at any time.
>
>It seems to me that as we move towards a mode of operating using both the
>S2 and disk-based systems we are increasing the potential complexity
>significantly. In my opinion we need to think carefully and define a
>limited number of well defined standard modes of operation that cover the
>majority of experiments, otherwise we risk increased failure rates. This
>perhaps could be something for discussion at the next operations meeting?

ABSOLUTELY.

Steven and I were discussing the same subject last night. We'll try to
have a webpage for next session in March.

As the schedules for ALL scheduled observations are due a week before the
start of the sessions, we should be able to confirm and freeze these
setups.

For disk-tests I guess we should remain somewhat flexible as they are
tests and we do need maximum flexibility to get the most out of them.

Cheers
Tasso