Re: vt001h - apologies

From: <jim.lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:44:54 +1100

Hi Simon,

>It seems to me that as we move towards a mode of operating using both the
>S2 and disk-based systems we are increasing the potential complexity
>significantly. In my opinion we need to think carefully and define a
>limited number of well defined standard modes of operation that cover the
>majority of experiments, otherwise we risk increased failure rates. This
>perhaps could be something for discussion at the next operations meeting?

I agree too!

Although this session has been far from typical operationally, it has
highlighted this problem of last minute changes causing confusion. This
is how things are supposed to happen:

1. The block schedule is prepared a month before the start of the
session and PIs are emailed to let them know when they're scheduled.

2. PI's are asked to have their schedules submitted at least a week
before the start of the session.

3. People at the various antennas check that the schedule will work at
their site and provide feedback to the PI who revises the schedule if
necessary.

I think there are a couple of problems with this. The first is that some
PIs don't get their schedules done in time. (What do we do if the
schedule is late? Cancel the observation?) The second is that we don't
always check the schedules as carefully as we should and therefore don't
spot problems until the last minute.

Some ideas on how to improve things:

1. Move the deadline for schedules back to two weeks prior to the
session and set a deadline of one week prior to the session for all
observatories to check they're OK (again there's the question of how we
enforce these deadlines). Then details on DAS and S2 configurations,
frequencies, polarisations, all go on the web. I agree that having such
a page is a good idea but it's not much help if it keeps changing right
up to the start of the observation.

2. As Chris said, standard SCHED setup files will help avoid lots of
these setup problems but PIs need to be encouraged to use them.

3. The capability of every antenna needs to be listed in a single
location on the web so that PIs can plan their observations. The page
should list all the "standard modes" (as Simon suggested) and show which
antennas can support them. We shouldn't support other observing modes
unless they've been verified first.

4. Update the LBA web pages. Personally I find them hard to navigate and
quite a bit of info is out of date.

Cheers,
Jim
--
Jim Lovell,                                       Jim.Lovell_at_csiro.au
ATNF c/o RSAA, Mt Stromlo Observatory,            Ph: (02) 6125 6715