Re: LBA sensitivity calculator

From: <Jim.Lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:09:50 +1100

Hi Adam,

Very nice! I have a few comments in addition to Tasso's:

1. Could you change Tid43 and Tid45 to Tid_70m and Tid_34m please? It's
a bit more descriptive as not everyone knows which DSS number
corresponds to which antenna.

2. At 2.3 GHz what Tsys are you assuming for the 70m? There are two LNAs
and one has a significantly better performance than the other (but only
30 MHz bandwidth). See
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/observers/docs/tid_obs_guide/tid_obs_guide.html#Receivers. For single polarisation and bandwidths of 32 MHz or less then the hempt can be used but for dual polarisation, both must be used. If it is dual pol then we generally switch the maser through a diplexer which raises it's Tsys a bit and makes it a better match to the hempt. So to summarise (!):
        single pol, bandwidth <= 32MHz : Tsys = 16K
        dual pol : Tsys = ~25 K
        bandwidth > 32 MHz (must be single pol) : Tsys = 25 K
This is all a bit beyond the scope of your tool, so see the next point:

3. How about a drop-down menu with all the standard S modes? (see
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/observing/lba_s2_configs.html). This would
set the bandwidth and observing frequency accordingly and could also
select the appropriate Tsys for the 70m at 2.3 GHz. There could be an
"other" option which would let people set their own frequency and
bandwidth.

4. Is the baseline sensitivity quoted for the "Calibrator time/scan"
time? If so, that should be made clear.

5. Any reason why only a single ATCA antenna is available at 22 GHz? In
compact configs it may be possible to phase up some antennas.

6. Is it possible to show an estimate of the synthesised beam major and
minor axes plus position angle?

Cheers,
Jim

--
Jim Lovell,                                       Jim.Lovell_at_csiro.au
ATNF c/o RSAA, Mt Stromlo Observatory,            Ph: (02) 6125 6715