V177A Setup, fringe checks, and disk based recording.

From: <cwest_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:00:15 +1100 (EST)

Hi all,

The next observation on the list is V177A. This a 4 Mhz experiment
(contrary to what the schedule says - but agrees with the wiki). The
important parts of this email will be posted on the wiki.

The Buggary cable will be IN. Can Parkes, ATCA and Mopra please ensure
they start in the south wrap (~270 would be good).

We plan to carry out some fringe tests before the experiment. Hopefully
Chris Phillips will update a little more about what we are going to do.

For the recorders we will be using the BG2 cable (as per the fringe
tests), which will then pass into the recorder computers. I will list the
recorder commands separately for each telescope.

Firstly people will need to set the timezone environment variable to
ensure we all start at a UTC time.

For csh (tcsh) users:

        setenv TZ UTC

For sh (bash) users:

        export TZ=UTC

Please confirm that it is correct by typing "date" and checking that the
time agrees with the UTC time on the AT distributed clocks.

For each of the telescopes it is assumed that you are running the latest
version of the recorder software. Please check this by running vsib_record

        PATH_TO_SOFTWARE/vsib/vsib_record -h

The response should be:

usage : PATH_TO_SOFTWARE/vsib/vsib_record -r rate(MHz) -t
recording_time(blks_or_secs) -b blksize -f blk -o filename -c compact_mode
-m mode -l (loop) -h (help) -v (verbose) -w bandwidth(MHz)
Version 1.0.6

Ensure the DAS is setup with the 4 Mhz profile that suits your site. It is
a Dual polarisation observation, with Buggary cable in. We will be running
in the compressed mode with the recorders "ooxx" (except for Parkes).

Recorder commands:

Firstly ensure that you are in the directory that you are recording the
data to. The command below can be started well before the start of the
schedule. It will launch the recorder 3 minutes before the start and run 3
minutes past the end. The recorders can be left running the either time.

ENSURE your TZ is set to UTC

ATCA:
   /home/vlbi/evlbi/vsib/dstart 20050311T185659; /home/vlbi/evlbi/vsib/vsib_record -w 4 -t 22000s -c ooxx -o vt177a_at

MOPRA:
   /home/vlbi/evlbi/vsib/dstart 20050311T185659; /home/vlbi/evlbi/vsib/vsib_record -w 4 -t 22000s -c ooxx -o vt177a_mp

PARKES:
   /home/vlbi/evlbi/vsib/dstart 20050311T185659; /home/vlbi/evlbi/vsib/vsib_record -w 4 -t 22000s -c oxox -o vt177a_pa

HOBART:
   dstart 20050311T185659; vsib_record -w 4 -t 22000s -c ooxx -o vt177a_ho

If people have any problems with the recorders please let me know ASAP.
I'll be in Parkes (02) 6861 1755 and awake for the first hour of the
experiment. Chris Phillips should also be available for contact at the
ATCA.

Hopefully fringes will be detected before we start. Good luck all...

Cheers
Craig...
---
Craig West