Hobart maser problems

From: <brett.reid_at_email.protected>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:43:10 +1000

Hi All,

Claire Trenham manning Hobart telescope here...
Our maser has crapped itself sometime in the last few hours. It's there
but it's doing crazy things and isn't working.
Brett Reid is on the phone to Irv Diegel (Honeywell) in the US.
Irv believes our problem is a broken vac ion (?) power supply (yes, power
supply). Currently we're running on the 5MHz crystal so we can't do VLBI.
Brett's attempting to take that power supply offline and connect an
external 6000V power supply and try to get it back up and running that way.
If all goes according to plan, (and going by the last couple of hours it
won't ;-) ), we will be able to do some VLBI later this evening, but not
any time very soon, so we'll be late starting v162d1 at best!
Incredibly sorry about this!

Will keep you all posted on progress. Otherwise we're all set up and
ready to go with the experiment, just one little hassle which kills the
lot, you know :-)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Claire T. on behalf of Brett Reid

Brett Reid