Re: LBA sensitivity calculator

From: <Tasso.Tzioumis_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:21:28 +1100

Hi Adam,

>> 3. How about a drop-down menu with all the standard S modes? (see
>>http://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/observing/lba_s2_configs.html). This
>>would
>>set the bandwidth and observing frequency accordingly and could also
>>select the appropriate Tsys for the 70m at 2.3 GHz. There could be an
>>"other" option which would let people set their own frequency and
>>bandwidth.
>>

>Okay... That might be a little bit of extra effort since it wasn't
>really
>designed with that in mind. What does everyone think? If everyone
>thinks
>it would be really handy then I'll put it on my to-do list and make it
>happen at some stage over the next week or so. So for the time being
>I'll
>leave the Tid 2.3 Tsys at 16K and put a note on the bottom of the page
>explaining the reduced sensitivity at >32MHz and/or double pol.

My feeling is to keep simple, at least in the first iteration. The
suggested improvements will be good for version 2, after we get some
experience?

>>5. Any reason why only a single ATCA antenna is available at 22 GHz?
>>In
>>compact configs it may be possible to phase up some antennas.
>>

>I interpolated that from the vlbi/doc page, which had 1 antenna and 6
>antennas (with 6 antennas not available for 12 or 22 GHz). If it is
>possible to phase 3 antennas for 22 GHz I'll change the definition to
>make
>that available.

For 12 GHz, we have only a single room-temperature receiver that needs
to be specially installed. It has not been done for many years and I'm
not sure if it possible at the ATCA now.

For 22 GHz, all antennas are equipped. So it is possible to phase up to
5 antennas, depending on the ATCA configuration at the time. So, for 22
we should treat it like all the other bands.

Cheers
Tasso

Tasso Tzioumis, Australia Telescope National Facility, CSIRO
Location: Cnr Pembroke & Vimiera Rds, Marsfield, NSW, 2122, AUSTRALIA
Post: PO Box 76, Epping, NSW 1710, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9372 4350 Fax: +61 2 9372 4450 or 4310
Email: Tasso.Tzioumis_at_csiro.au