Initial plan for vt03a1,2,3 - NZ test experiments

From: <stingay_at_email.protected>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 00:25:33 +1000 (EST)

Dear All,

I've put an initial set of schedules for vt03a1, the first of three
disk-based experiments that we have as Trans-Tasman VLBI tests, on:

ftp://ftp.atnf.csiro.au/pub/people/vlbi/vt03a/vt03a1

I wanted to set down my ideas on the experiment setup. Once we agree on a
setup for vt03a1, I'll produce schedules for the second and third
experiments.

I've chosen 0208-512 as the target for vt03a1:

SOURCE='0208-512' RA=02:10:46.200412 DEC=-51:01:01.89187 EPOCH='J2000' /

This is a very compact source of ~2 - 3 Jy. The tests we did between the
14 and 26 m antennas in Hobart used 0252-712 (~5 Jy CSS source).
Unfortunately, this object will be too highly resolved on the Trans-Tasman
baseline. 0208-512 is a safer choice I think. This source will be at ~50
- 60 degrees elevation throughout the experiment.

Tim is working on the RF downconversion to give a LO frequency of 1650 MHz
for the NZ receiver. Tim will record a single 16 MHz band, centred on
1658 MHz, to disk (Nyquist sampled, 8 bit samples = 256 Mbps). This 16
MHz band will be linear polarisation.

To match the NZ setup, I think we should use a dual-pol setup centred at
1658 MHz to get both LCP and RCP where possible.

We will need further discussion for all the details of recording, as well
as setting out instructions for the NZ antenna. However, I wanted to get
the basics of the source/frequencies/polarisations out of the way first.

In summary:

ource: 0208-512
pol: dual RCP/LCP
freq: 1658 MHz centre (1650 - 1666 MHz)

Let me know what you think. When all decided, the information will go on
the wiki page.

Cheers, Steven

##=====================================================##
Dr Steven Tingay stingay_at_astro.swin.edu.au
Swinburne SKA Project Leader
Senior Lecturer

Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
Mail No H39
P.O. Box 218, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia

ph: +61 3 9214 8758
fax: +61 3 9214 8797

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/ska