Re: Progress toward New Zealand VLBI

From: <sergei.gulyaev_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:55:39 +1200

Hi Chris,

It wasn't VLBI, as the baseline between 14m and 26 m antennas is just
100m, so the size of the source didn't matter. With our 16MHz
bandwidth this OH maser would be equivalent to 0.1 Jy continuum source
- not detectable.

Cheers,
Sergei

>>>Chris Phillips <Chris.Phillips_at_csiro.<!--nospam-->au> 31/08/2005 2:40:20 p.m.

Hi Sergei,

>P.S. When in Hobart, we tried interferometry for OH maser
>330.878-0.367 with strong (S~300 Jy) but narrow (5-7 km/s)
emission
>line in 1665 MHZ. We could see strong OH line in the spectrum
received
>on the 14m with NZ system (first NZ radio spectroscopy?).

>Surprisingly, we got strong fringe between Hobart and ATCA. Adam
>promptly found the explanation: there is a 8 Jy HII region
associated
>with this maser source.

If you detected an HII region with VLBI I would be suprised (in a
good
way). Are you sure it was not just the OH maser?