Re: Progress toward New Zealand VLBI

From: <Chris.Phillips_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:43:02 +1000 (EST)

Adam,

>I don't believe that the fringe we saw could be associated with the maser,

Did you look at the spectrum of the data with 1000-5000 frequency points.
That would answer this questions quickly.

Sergei: The number I cam up with was the sqrt of the bandwidth ratio (ie
match the frequency resolution to the maser width). The SNR of the
spectrum then goes down as sqrt bandwidth. Talking to Jim Caswell, the
maser is moderately wide, so it has about 260 Jy over 16 kHz. This means
you sound get the same SNR as you would on an 8 Jy continuum source (ie
about 25 sigma in 10sec).

>which extends across the band, which must be the continuum HII emission.

Jim and I discusswd this also. HII does not have the brightness
temperature (10^4) to detect with VLBI. If this is a continuum source, it
isn't HII. It would be interesting to know what it is.

This is assuming we are talking about Hobart to ATCA:

  "Surprisingly, we got strong fringe between Hobart and ATCA"

and not 26m-14m:

  "It wasn't VLBI, as the baseline between 14m and 26 m antennas is just
   100m"