Hobart update

From: <brett.reid_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 8:07:17 +1100

Hobart update

Power was off in the Hanslow Road area in Cambridge near the
Radiotelescope between 4am and 6:15 am.
I noticed tree branches down in lots of places during the drive over and
the broadcast stations and street lighting had numerous interruptions.
The antenna is still wind stowed.
The diesel ran during the power interuption, powering our cryo compressor
and S/X receiver. Unfortunately the L band receiver and dual pol X band
receiver's cryodynes were not connected and have warmed. To recool either
or both the receivers we need to take the vacuum pump to the focus. To do
this we need the wind to die down. We need a day to cool the X band and a
several hours of calmer weather to cool the L band. We have found
previously that we cannot detect sources in single dish mode when either
of these receivers are warm.

We feel it is best to observe with the S/X RHC only for v187b if we are
not able to cool the dual pol X band receiver.
We will try and get the L band as cold as we can once it is safe to do so.
If any one, such as affected PIs, has some input as to which receiver to
concentrate on getting cold, given the above constraints and the
remaining experiments, then please let me know.

Cheers,
Brett and Jamie McCallum.

Current weather warning follows:

IDT28100
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Tasmania

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Damaging Winds
For people throughout Tasmania
Issued at 4:25 am on Friday 4 November 2005

Synoptic Situation: A low pressure system south of Tasmania is slowly moving
away.

West to northwest winds strong enough to bring down some tree branches
and power
lines are expected over Tasmania, particularly southern areas, this morning.
Conditions are expected to steadily improve during the morning

The maximum wind gust is expected to be about 110 km/h.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should secure loose outside
items.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11:00am Friday

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216. The Bureau and State Emergency
Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.

Brett Reid
Observatory Manager, Radio Telescopes
University of Tasmania
School of Mathematics and Physics
phone + 61 3 6248 5285
email brett.reid_at_utas.<!--nospam-->edu.au
web http://www-ra.phys.utas.edu.au/~breid/