Re: Disko

From: <cwest_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:58:24 +1100 (EST)

Jim,

I think disko is pretty good too :-) It ran well at Parkes, even though it
drove me mad with its beeping - due to the BG2 cable problems at Parkes.

I agree with Chris on all his points, and to expand a little on the final
point I think it would be nice if you could preschedule a few recordings.
This could be either done via a loadable file, or perhaps through the
GUI (although the file is enough).

The reason for this is that you can't have two vsib_record programs
scheduled to run at the same time. By this I mean you can't have one
recording, and then tee the next one up to start (for example) 1 minute
after the last one stopped. Both programs try to talk to something that
causes them both to get confused, and basically crashes the recordings.
However, we can do it via shell scripts.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Chris Phillips wrote:

>Hi Jim,
>
>(Sending this publicly in case other people want to add their 5c.)
>
>The disko program seems to be working really well. I actually think it is
>much safe than running vsib_record directly as it will actually look at
>the output and catches errors that are not occurring continuously.
>
>I have a few comments on think that would be nice to add (some of this is
>from feedback from others).
>
>- It would be good to have a better indication of what vsib_record/disko
>are currently doing (ie idle, waiting to start recording, recording
>etc).
>- When recording it would be good to have an indication on how long
>before recording finishes (ie a count down timer).
>- Experiment profiles, which can be generated beforehand really are
>needed. It would be great if disko could decide automatically which the
>next experiment was, based on the current time
>- Currently vt02 experiments are put in the "FringeCheck" directory. I
>think it might be better to have all a button to select experiments
>as FringeCheck or diskrecording. So experiments like Roopesh's v131
>would be considered "FringeCheck".
>- It would be good if disko could run (or incorporate) diskclean.pl to
>stop the disks getting too full.
>- It would be great if disko was schedulable (ie able to start and
>stop the recorders).
>
>Cheers
>Chris

Cheers