Re: VLBI telecon - 2pm Wedn 14 June 2006

From: <Jim.Lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:20:28 +1000

Hi everyone,

It's already a full agenda but there's another item we should
discuss, even if we just agree to arrange another meeting to go into
it in more detail.

At the ATNF Users Committee meeting last week, Tasso suggested a LBA
New Capabilities workshop which ATUC were very enthusiastic about.
Below is an extract from the ATUC report. There are perhaps some
issues raised here we should discuss. In particular:
        - ATUC suggest inviting someone from Europe to present recent EVN
results. Perhaps Walter Brisken would be a better choice. His pulsar
observations are looking pretty impressive.
        - demonstration data : do we already have it? If not should we
schedule something in ~November?
        - ATUC would like to see VLBI become less of a dark art and more
accessible to new users. This will require additional resources so
perhaps we should begin thinking about different support models and
what resources would be required.

Here are ATUC's comments:

1. ATUC were enthusiastic about having a one-day LBA/e-VLBI ‘New
Capabilities’ workshop in conjunction with our next (late 2006)
meeting. This should concentrate on science opportunities, and be
aimed at non-experts and possible new users. It would be excellent
to have an invited speaker from Europe to present recent EVN results,
and also to include an introduction to VLBI techniques. ATUC nominate
Stuart Ryder to sit on the SOC to advise on the science program. An
important goal would be to identify the likely number of new users.
If there is a significant increase in LBA/VLBI usage, additional
resources would obviously be needed to provide documentation and user
support.

2. As part of the eVLBI intiative, we also suggest that the ATNF
could provide two sets of demonstration data (one extragalactic/
continuum, one Galactic/spectral-line) which would be taken at an
early stage, calibrated, imaged and made publicly available. This
would help users assess and appreciate the capabilities of the new
system.

Cheers,
Jim
--
Dr Jim Lovell,                                      Jim.Lovell_at_csiro.<!--nospam-->au
CSIRO Australia Telescope National Facility       Ph:    (02) 6125 6715