disk serial numbers

From: <Chris.Phillips_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 15:10:34 +1000 (EST)

Message from Jamie:

---------------------------------

From: Jamie Stevens <Jamie.Stevens_at_utas.<!--nospam-->edu.au>
To: VLBI observers <vlbiobs_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au>

Hi all,

Last teleconference it was noted that we need a way of knowing which
experiments are recorded to which disks. Jim suggested that we use the
disk serial numbers that can be obtained from hdparm, and after some
looking around on the web, it appears this is the only really standard
way of identifying disks in software, ie. you can't label a disk with a
more user-friendly moniker, because that label is only attached to the
file system, not the disk.

I suggest that before the next run, when the observatories get their
disks, that we note all the serial numbers and label each disk/caddy
with its serial number. We then need some way of logging this
information. The wiki would seem the sensible option - we would need a
table of disk serial # vs other disk ID information, ie.
Hobart internal RAID disk 1, serial # KRFS02RAH4D4LC

Logging experiment vs disk would then need to be done at each
observatory. I have written a little program which takes the disk path
and outputs the serial numbers of all the disks in that RAID set in
order. I've already made my server use this program for logging the
serials, and disko could be easily altered to do so as well if need be.

I'm willing to coordinate the effort to get a system in place for
logging before next run, however I'd like to hear from people whether
this scheme is fine, or if it's too complicated, either for observers or
for correlators.

cheers
Jamie
--
Jamie Stevens     Postdoctoral Researcher
School of Physics, University of Tasmania