Ultra ATA disks for Xraids

From: <Jim.Lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:44:42 +1000

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a little funding proposal here at UTas and a
component of that is some new disks for our Xraid at Mt Pleasant.
Apple are quoting me $6200 for a bank of 7 500 GB Ultra ATA disks
which seems a tad on the steep side. I was speaking with a bloke from
Apple who deals with UTas so this was apparently the best 'deal' he
could manage. I was wondering if anyone has managed to get a better
deal from Apple or could suggest alternatives? I guess one option
would be to buy some disks from a third party and muck about swapping
the Apple proprietary mounting bracket things - but that's a bit messy.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Jim
--