Re: LBA testing procedures

From: <Simon.Ellingsen_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:23:02 +1000

Hi Tasso,

>produced a draft document about the current testing procedures on
>the LBA and what we can do to improve them.
>
>This includes a number of action items that potentially involve
>many of you. Please review and let me know your comments.
>
>I plan to finalise this version of the document before the end of
>next week. Hence I'll appreciate comments by mid-week if possible.

I've been reading through the testing procedures document. I think
that under Relevant Resources there should be something like :

A VLBI control computer (or equivalent system) for coordination of
the observations (antenna and recorder control) and collection of
calibration data such as system temperature, weather, clock offsets
with respect to GPS.

We probably need to make it a bit vague as the way these things are
implemented varies from antenna to antenna, but those functionalities
are required for the VLBI observations, regardless of the specifics
of the implementation at each site. We all know from past experience
that poor collection of system temperature data can significantly or
completely ruin an otherwise successful experiment. Are there other
vital pieces of metadata that should be specified in that dot point?

In terms of action item #7, I think that we already do this at Hobart
as part of standard IVS operations there is hourly monitoring of the
maser - Brett? For Ceduna its only done during VLBI experiments and
we'll have to put something in place. I would suggest that we need a
further action item here - Setup mechanism for storing the clock
monitoring data from all antennas at a centralised location. Since
there is limited point in expending effort to collect the data if its
stored in 3-4 different locations, formats etc.

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Senior Lecturer Physics & Astronomy, University of
Tasmania