Re: LBA testing procedures

From: <Chris.Phillips_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:50:49 +1000

Hi Guys

>In terms of action item #7, I think that we already do this at Hobart as
>part of standard IVS operations there is hourly monitoring of the maser
>- Brett? For Ceduna its only done during VLBI experiments and we'll
>have to put something in place.

For VLBI use we really need monitoring a week before AND AFTER each VLBI
experiment. Sampling interval should be pretty frequent say 10min
(roughly). You want to be able to smooth the data a bit and throw away
obvious measurement errors. Once a day is not enough.

The current clock value for ATNF and UTAS is available at

        http://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/clocks/

and
        http://www.atnf.csiro.au/cgi-bin/vlbi/lba_monitor.pl

I would guess this approach could be easily generalized for VLBI clock
monitoring.

>I would suggest that we need a further
>action item here - Setup mechanism for storing the clock monitoring data
>from all antennas at a centralised location.

Actually a centralized location is not really required - but a
centralized index is. It may be easier (for example) to use web cgi
interfaces to local (e.g. UTAS) databases.

I am working (slowly...) on ATNF onsource/Tsys and clock monitoring. All
of this will be accessible via cgi scripts and the experiment wiki. This
allows maximum automation. Other idea would be worth exploring - but
only if they include consideration on how to mimimise effort to keep up
to date. (E.g. with the wiki/cgi approach ATCA should require no extra
effort other than running a script to generate the wiki, which has to be
done anyhow. Mopra just requires a manual rsync command after each run.
Parkes involves running a couple of programs locally (for an entire run,
not each experiment) and copying to Sydney.