S-band RFI

From: <Brett.Reid_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:44:20 +1000

Hi all,
Jamie McCallum noticed RFI at Hobart this morning that prevented
calibrating Tsys for VLBI experiment v191b currently underway. Fringes
have been detected though. Eric and I found that the interfering signal
is 2147.5 MHz and a little less than 5MHz wide. It is in the pass band
of the dual pol S-band receiver only 120 MHz away from the band being
recorded today. With our antenna at the zenith, the signal is about 30
dB above the floor of the pass band.

Eric went for a drive and found that the signal is strongest to our
north on Butchers Hill, near Richmond. I called the Hobart technicians
at Australian Communications and Media Authority. They detected it too.
They took a drive and confirmed the signal comes from a tower on
Butchers Hill and also from a tower on Guy Fawkes hill near Mt Rumney.
We are somewhere in the middle of these 2 towers at either end of the
Coal valley.

Hobart AMCA technicians are contacting some telco people and will let me
know how they go with what they find such as whether it is licensed.

Regards,
Brett
--
Brett Reid
Observatory Manager, Radio Astronomy Group