ASKAP science team EoI for VLBI

From: <s.tingay_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 05:54:35 +0800

Dear All,

Apparently there will be a call for expressions of interest in forming
science teams for ASKAP, these teams working with the ASKAP
designers/builders to ensure the success of key science areas and take
some responsibility for data processing.

I'll be submitting an EoI entitled "The high resolution component of
ASKAP", which will be focussed on the VLBI science that we can do with
ASKAP, including the type of activities that we earlier outlined in
the chapter for the ASKAP science case that I coordinated and many of
you contributed to. I'd like to ask who out of the Australian VLBI
team would be interested in joining this EoI. We should also look for
international partners as well.

I think an ASKAP VLBI EoI would be a very good move and could include
science from conventional and eVLBI.

I hear that the EoI process will be announced on ~November 1, with the
submission due on December 15.

I've also been thinking for a little while that we need to
reinvigorate our VLBI discussions a bit. I propose that we try and
set a time every two weeks to have a VLBI telecon. There is a lot
going on, with the UTas developments for NCRIS, the shift of the
correlator to Curtin and new VLBI staff at Curtin and UWA, and
ambitious plans afoot for eVLBI demonstrations. I feel we need to
talk as a group a bit more about some of these developments. Probably
Tasso and I can share the load in organising the telecons. What do
you think?

Cheers, Steven
--
Professor Steven Tingay