To do while observing

From: <C.Hotan_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:07:31 +0900

Hi All,

In order for PIs to get their data in good order it needs to be correlated with minimum frustration. Thus it pays to keep the correlators happy!

We're trying to figure out how we can make the process easier and more streamlined for observers so you don't have to fight piles of wiki-table to find the place you want, and to minimise needless duplication of information. Hopefully we'll have some good ideas soon!

However in the mean time, Hayley and myself, and probably other people too, would *really appreciate it* if you could all fill in not only the observatory logs for each experiment (start time, wind stows, problems...), but also update the Disk Summary Table (http://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/wiki/index.php?n=Main.DiskSummary), just to the extent of recording the experiment name(s) with each disk set used.
This should look something like ..... || ATCA || v255c || ...... for the relevant disk label.

Otherwise we have to go through every station log for every experiment to figure out which disks were used for each experiment, and figuring out which experiments are on any given disk set is nigh-on impossible short of loading the disks and checking yourself! (and yes, this is important for when the next observing run comes around and we need to figure out which disks are ready for formatting).

So to save everyone involved in processing a lot of frustration and bother, we'd really like it if you could take the time, straight after you start Disko on each experiment, to go to the disk summary page and record the relevant information, then go back to your station log page and maintain that throughout the experiment.
Given you only have to use Disko half as much now as you used to as there's no more partition changes, we're not really increasing your work load :)

Thanks heaps for your help

Hayley & Claire

Correlator Manager, Correlator Operator
CIRA