Hobart out of action

From: <Simon.Ellingsen_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:30:30 +1100

Hi,
                This morning we had a problem with the Hobart 26m where for reasons
unknown the antenna ended up in the northern dead limits. This
occurred just after the antenna appeared to park due to a windstow.

We are investigating how it is that an antenna which should have been
at the zenith with the drives off could end up in the limits when all
the logged information we have indicates that the drives were off and
the brakes on. I'm sure you all appreciate that we can't commence
observations with Hobart again until we've determined the cause of the
problem and are sure that it is fixed.

Brett and Eric have been working on this all day and have identified a
faulty relay in the drive-off circuit as the potential culprit, they
are currently testing the system. We hope to have the problem sorted
by the end of the working day tomorrow and will keep everyone informed
- however, we wont be unable to observe tonight (Feb 25th)

Apologies to those PIs who have been adversely affected by this,
however, I'm sure you understand that we have to place safe operation
of the antenna ahead of anyone's observations.

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Senior Lecturer Physics & Astronomy, University of
Tasmania