Re: Ceduna phase stability

From: <Brett.Reid_at_email.protected>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:06:03 +1000

Hi All,
I have replied to the whole VLBI group on this one since it is serious.

I was at Ceduna in June prior to the last LBA run with the purpose of
assisting with the maser service. We do believe the maser is OK.

I fixed the coax cables in the azimuth twister (including the 5MHz synch
cable) also.

Sorry I didn't get to the steps 1 and 2, back in June, at 1 GHz,
detailed by Simon below.

I would like to get the Agilent back to Hobart pronto for comparison
with the identical Hobart unit. OK?

I might also get the doubler and 10 MHz amp unit that connects to the
Agilent's ref input.

It gets very hot in the upper equipment room at Ceduna and I know the
operating environment temperature limit of the Agilent has been exceeded
many times. We now need to check this stress has not degraded our
oscillator's ability to perfectly synchronise. Comparison with the
Hobart unit at the higher frequencies will be simplest way to find out.
I am hoping Peter has some gear fast enough to perform these comparisons
in the lab.

For any one interested, the Ceduna Agilent LO freq for different sky
frequencies can be seen at the following link:
http://www-ra.phys.utas.edu.au/wiki/index.php?n=Ceduna30m.ReceiverConfigurationAndSystemTemperatures

It would be nice to know if the amount of phase instability corresponds
precisely to Agilent frequency at the different observing frequencies,
this will confirm that it is worth sending the Agilent over here for checks.

Regards,
Brett

--
Brett Reid
Observatory Manager, Radio Astronomy Group