Re: Ceduna phase stability

From: <h.bignall_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:53:14 +0800

Hi JD, all,

Attached is a plot showing 4 minutes of data on PKS 1921-293 (64 MHz
band, from v311a, observed in July at 22 GHz)

I think the Ceduna phase problem is as severe as in previous sessions.

It's hard to gauge what effect it will have on the 6.7 and 8.4 GHz
experiments scheduled for September. I think it depends on the
specific experiments - for example if targets are bright enough for
phase self-cal over a short solution interval (e.g. for TANAMI?),
there may only be a very small amount of decorrelation and reduction
in S/N. However for phase-referencing to detect weak targets it might
be a killer..

Regards,
Hayley

Dr Hayley Bignall
Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy

Location: Brodie Hall Building 611, Room 106
          1 Turner Ave, Technology Park, Bentley
Phone: +61 (0)8 9266 9245
Fax: +61 (0)8 9266 9246
Email: H.Bignall_at_curtin.<!--nospam-->edu.au

Post:
Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U1987