Fringes from Australia-Japan VLBI test

From: <Simon.Ellingsen_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:40:17 +0200

Dear LBAers
                In late May Hobart participated in a 2 hour test observation at the
end of a JVN methanol maser VLBI observing session. We observed a
number of continuum calibrators and equitorial methanol maser sources
with a 4 MHz bandwidth and centre frequency of 6.668 MHz. Hobart
observed dual polarization, while the Mizusawa VERA antenna and the
Yamaguchi 32m recorded LCP only. Mareki Honma arranged for conversion
of the recorded disk-based data from one of the K5 formats into
Mark5B, while at Hobart we recorded using the standard cdisko
recorder, but with data saved in Mark5B format rather than the
standard LBA format.

                After lots of help from Chris Phillips to get the DiFX input file
correct, I have finally been able to get the first hour for the Hobart-
Mizusawa baseline correlated using version 1.5 of DiFX. Over that
period we observed two calibrators and two maser sources and we have
fringes from J0609-1542 and the two methanol masers G188.95+0.89 and
G213.70-12.6 (Mon R2), which are shown in the attached postscript file.

                I think that we have previously had Australia-Japan fringes in
recent eVLBI experiments and 20 years or so ago in some Mark II
experiments (perhaps also some VSOP experiments). However, I think
that this is the first time we have had fringes to any of the VERA
stations from Australia?

                I think it would be good to arrange a full-scale Australia-Japan
observation in the not to distant future, as I'm sure that there are a
range of experiments both maser/line and continuum which could benefit
from long N-S baselines?

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Senior Lecturer Physics & Astronomy, University of
Tasmania