Ceduna network problem

From: <Simon.Ellingsen_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 09:18:23 +1100

Hi LBAers,

The hot weather in South Australia over the last few days (it was 47 deg in the town on Sunday) has caused a failure somewhere with the radio link which carries our network traffic from the Ceduna telescope to Bev's house. Eric and Brett have been working to isolate the cause of the problem and unfortunately it appears to be in the least accessible part of the link (some components in a box 6m up a pole on a farm partway between the observatory and town). To access this to find and fix the fault requires a qualified operator (i.e. Brett or Eric) taking the cherry picker from the observatory out to the farm.

We are currently looking into when that might be possible, but it is unlikely to be before the LBA session next Tuesday. We are investigating some alternatives (we may be able to observe like we did in the olden days without a fringe check - is that acceptable), but at this stage there is a not insignificant possibility that Ceduna may not be available for this session.

It would be very useful to know exactly what the planned schedule is for Ceduna next Tuesday/Wednesday (it doesn't seem to be on the wiki yet). Is it just another v434 epoch, or are there two experiments? Also, if we could get any schedules ASAP that would be useful, as _if_ we are able to arrange observing at Ceduna we will need to use some ingenuity to get the schedules onto the PCFS.

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Associate Professor Physics & Astronomy, University of Tasmania
email : Simon.Ellingsen_at_utas.<!--nospam-->edu.au