upcoming session: disks and new data tracking spreadsheet

From: <h.bignall_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:01:52 +0800

Hi all,

Two news items from the Curtin correlator :)

1. **Disks**

Ceduna has been supplied with disks for the upcoming session (+1 spare set).
For all other stations, I am assuming we no longer ever need to send disks
from Curtin, unless I get a specific request. Could staff responsible for
each telescope please check that there is enough recording capacity for the
next session?
(If in doubt re. recycling disks, as far as I know all recorded data has
been transferred to the PB store.)

2. **New data tracking**

With Tony Blackett's new recorder monitor logging operational, we are moving
to using a google spreadsheet for tracking data transfers. The web page for
this is now linked under the "Data Transport Pages" on the wiki. Or here's a
direct link: http://tinyurl.com/4kbjuf9

The spreadsheet can be viewed by anybody. At the bottom of the web page,
there is a link to "Edit this page (if you have permission)". Clicking on
this should open the spreadsheet for "viewing only". Or go directly to the
spreadsheet: http://tinyurl.com/46fznmk

If you select "List view" under the View menu at the top, you can click on
column headings to sort by that column, or click underneath to filter e.g.
by location, disk label, experiment, status, etc.

I hope that this will be a convenient way of keeping track of data and
checking disks are OK to recycle, eventually superseding the data transfer
wiki tables. The plan is that it will be updated after each LBA observing
session (using a script that Cormac wrote to import recmon data from html
and convert to values in the spreadsheet).
Following transfer and correlation, updates will be made by Graham Jenkins
(or others responsible for transfers) and me (or others responsible for
correlation).

This relies on running the recmon logging for all observations of course!
(It hasn't been for a couple of recent experiments.)

Details for some extra stations (e.g. Hart, Tid) not using recmon but still
transferring data will still need to be added manually.

It wouldn't hurt to still manually log the disk labels (as well as other
relevant information) on the "observing comments" wiki pages as usual, for
the next session, just in case..

Cheers,

Hayley

Dr Hayley Bignall

ICRAR - Curtin University
Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy
Location: Brodie Hall Building 610, Room 158
         1 Turner Ave, Technology Park, Bentley
Phone: +61 (0)8 9266 9245
Fax: +61 (0)8 9266 9246
Email: H.Bignall_at_curtin.<!--nospam-->edu.au

Post:
Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy
Curtin University
GPO Box U1987