RE: LBA DAS problem at Hart

From: Jonathan Quick <jon_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:59:21 +0200

Hi Dick

On Thu, June 18, 2015 10:51 am, Dick.Ferris_at_email.protected
> Well, life has taken a few unexpected turns recently. Last year one
> consequence of a major budget cut was that my position became redundant so I
> took early retirement and now operate as a Hon Fellow, i.e. volunteer, two
> days a week, plus whenever I check my mail. This means I keep my desk and
> email so I can help support my toys like this!

Thanks for 'volunteering' :-)

> OK, I agree that it looks like a backplane fault, say a dry joint or hairline
> crack. There should be some connector pin tables towards the back of the
> manual. If not the relevant files should be somewhere on the public VLBI site
> as we sent them to JER for this purpose quite recently. Have fun!

Erk. We don't have copies of those and I'm not quite sure where to look.
Anyone care to enlighten us where they can be found .. or to scan and send us
a copy?

> Also it seems there is little point in changing to manual control, as all the
> config stuff is managed by the Filter module, and if it can't talk to the
> Sampler regarding AGC mode it can't talk to it about anything else. Then
> again don't let me stop you trying, you never know your luck!
>
> I am still interested to see what the analog (reconstituted digital) port
> looks like, especially as "...>>> the level readout then takes a few seconds
> to >>> slide across from one end to the other". If the signal looks OK at
> this point, try increasing and decreasing the RF input level by a few dB and
> watch what happens. Likewise the threshold and statistics levels of the
> 2-bit data at the DAS Output / S2 Input ports would be interesting.

Well I', going to have to try dig deeper as...

> Our best hope is that Brett's suggestion nails it.

... that is rules out :-(

Will keep you posted.

Regards
  Jon