2nd announcement: Australia-Japan School on Low Frequency Astrometry in the SKA Era

From: Richard Dodson <richard.dodson_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 07:26:53 +0800

Dear Australian VLBI community.

  I forward the 2nd announcement of the VLBI astrometry school in
Kagoshima.

> -----------------------
> Second announcement — Registration opened ---
>
> Australia-Japan School on Low Frequency Astrometry in the SKA Era
> Dates/time: from 13:00 on March 28 to 15:30 on March 31 (4 days)
> Venue: Large Meeting Room, 1st Building of the Faculty of Science,
Kagoshima University

> This is the second announcement of the school on "Low Frequency
Astrometry in the SKA Era”,
> in Kagoshima University. This school aims to advance the plans for
Japanese and Australian
> contributions to the SKA project. The school will provide introductions
to key science goals
> in radio astrometry, methodologies drawn from various research fields,
and instrumental tools
> and facilities, including the existing VLBI networks, where innovative
ideas can be tested
> in the near term.
>
> The school also will provide the basic information to understand the
design of the SKA
> (SKA1-MID and SKA2) for radio astrometry. The specific issues for
successful astrometry at
> low frequencies will be discussed. This school will bring together
Australian representatives
> and Japanese colleagues to consider how we can address and collaborate on
this issue,
> thereby making a significant contribution to the SKA.
>
> The school web page for registration is now open. Registration by the
participant is
> through the registration form linked from the web page. To facilitate the
arrangement of
> the school program and the welcome party, we request registration no
later than ### 7 March ###
> (or earlier if giving contributed presentations or requesting for
support, see below).
> Note that the maximum capacity is 50 participants and no registrations
will possible after
> that number is reached.
>
> Experts and students from Australia, Japan, and possible partner
countries in a wide variety of
> fields with links to radio astrometry are welcome to provide contributed
presentations
> (mainly oral presentation).
> We note this school is organised to coincide with the cherry blossom
season in Kagoshima.

> School web page and link to the registration form:
ska-astrometry.wikidot.com

> Main review topics: each with 1 hour lecture (invited speaker)
> Introduction to VLBI (Richard Dodson, University of Western Australia)
> Introduction to radio astrometry (Maria Rioja, University of Western
Australia)
> Science drivers for low frequency astrometry (Hiroshi Imai, Kagoshima
University)
> Introduction to geodetic VLBI (TBD)
> Measurement of atmospheric effects (Yoshiaki Tamura, Mizusawa VLBI
Observatory/NAOJ)
> Calibration of the atmospheric effects in interferometric observations
> (Yuanwei Wu, Mizusawa VLBI Observatory/NAOJ)
> SKA in Australia and Japan (Takuya Akahori, Kagoshima University)
> Advanced Topics: each with 30 min talk (invited speaker)
> The dynamics of the Local Group of galaxies (Kenji Bekki, University
of Western Australia)
> Lessons learned in low frequency astrometry (Gabor Orosz, Kagoshima
University)
> Pulsars and gravitation waves (Keitaro Takahashi, Kumamoto University)
> Advanced technologies for radio astronomy (TBD)
>
> The structure of the school:
> The school is composed of the introductory lectures and advanced-level
talks listed above
> from leading experts and contributed presentations (20–30 min including
discussion)
> from the participants.
>
> The contributed presentations:
> We encourage presentations on new scientific and technical applications,
> and the sharing the information and ideas in the practical data
analyses.
> Participant who wish to provide a presentation are requested to
register by
> ### 9 February ### with the title and a short abstract.
>
> Registration fee: free of charge
>
> Banquet: Hanami-style party, depending on weather, will be held on March
30.
> Fee: JPY 3000 (JPY 2000 for students)
>
> Language in the School:
> Presentations will be basically in English language, some
interpretation to Japanese.
> We encourage the students to interrupt during the lectures to ask for
Japanese interpretation,
> if required. The organizers expect that a large fraction of
participants will come from
> Japanese universities and institutes, who are not familiar to VLBI or
relevant fields
> including astrometry and geodesy.
>
> Local support:
> Any local support will have to be negotiated, but if requested then
registration must be
> no later than ### 5 February ### as financial support is limited.
> The support for local accommodation can be requested.
> Support for domestic flights will be difficult. If required, a direct
contact to the LOC chair
> is requested immediately. Supported participants will be have to
provide some contributed
> presentation and/or LOC works.

> SOC: M. Rioja (chair), R. Dodson, H. Imai, K. Bekki, S. Ellingsen, M.
Honma
> LOC: H. Imai (chair), T. Handa, H. Nakanishi, T. Akahori, K. Takahashi,
G. Orosz, K. Obara

> Contact: Hiroshi Imai (Kagoshima University,
hiroimai_at_email.protected

> Organization of this school is supported by the Australian Department of
Foreign Affairs and Trade.