1st announcement of Low Frequency Astrometry workshop, June 14 to 17, in Hobart

From: Richard Dodson <richard.dodson_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 11:16:03 +0800

Dear Friends,

We attach an announcement of a workshop, in Hobart, on methods for solving
the issues in Low Frequency Astrometry, on June 14-17. These methods could
be traditional VLBI solution, or innovative ideas using external
data-products. Please forward it those who maybe interested.

Thanks

SOC

We are pleased to announce the Second Meeting in the Series on Low
Frequency Astrometry in the SKA Era, which will be in Hobart 14 to 17 June
(straight after the ASKAP16 meeting in Sydney). This is a joint set of
meetings in Japan (Kagoshima, March) and Australia.

The SKA promises to be the fundamental instrument in radio astronomy for
the coming century, but to utilise its amazing power we will need to
develop new techniques. Australia is one of the co-hosts of the SKA
facility, and additionally has a number of pathfinders in place now. One
area which will require improvement is the calibration of the long baseline
data at low frequencies. This is an area in which Japan has a great deal of
strength. These meetings will bring together Australian representatives
with Japanese colleagues to consider how we can collaborate on this issue,
making a significant contribution to the SKA project .

The meeting In Tasmania will focus on higher level research talks related
to low frequency astrometry methods for the SKA, to follow on from the
introductory school presented in Kagoshima. In particular we will explore
methodologies drawn from multiple fields and the instrumental tools and
facilities where innovative ideas can be tested in the near term.

Organization of this school is supported by the Australian Department of
Foreign Affairs and Trade. Some limited financial support should be
available to domestic students.

Title: Australia-Japan School on Low Frequency Astrometry in the SKA Era

Dates/time: from 14 to 17 June, 2016

Venue: School of Physics and Mathematics, University of Tasmania, Hobart

SOC: S. Ellingsen, (chair), R. Dodson, M. Rioja, H. Imai, K. Bekki, M. Honma

LOC: S. Ellingsen (chair), L. Hyland, L. Plank, K Bradford

Session Summary

Science Goals: The outcomes from astrometric measurements using very long
baseline interferometers and the SKA.

Propagation Media Effects: Geophysical estimates and calibration methods
for the atmospheric contributions on long baselines.

Instruments: Reviews of current and future instruments and arrays and their
plans for achieving astrometry

In Tasmania we will limit ourselves to the higher level research talks
related to low frequency astrometry methods for the SKA. Given the strong
local interest in 6.7GHz astrometric VLBI we aim to have detailed
discussions on:

   -

   Astrometric results at Low Frequencies including:
   -

      Methanol Masers,
      -

      OH Masers,
      -

      pulsars,
      -

      Very low frequencies observations with Pathfinders
      -

   Geodetic results including:
   -

      AuScope results
      -

      Geodetic data products for VLBI (e.g. GPS solutions for atmospheric
      calibration)
      -

   Innovative Methods including:
   -

      In-beam calibration strategies
      -

      Atmospheric corrections
      -

      Multi-frequency Methods for Astrometric VLBI
      -

      Multi-calibrator Methods for Astrometric VLBI