2nd announcement of Low Frequency Astrometry workshop, June 15 to 17, in Hobart

From: Richard Dodson <richard.dodson_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 16:28:18 +0800

Dear All,

     We send around the 2nd announcement of the meeting in Tasmania, which
we hope you do not receive too many times.
     Please note that we have added hands-on demonstrations and shifted the
meeting to start one day later, to reduce conflict with other events.

         All the best,
           the SOC

This is the second announcement of the Meeting on Low Frequency Astrometry
in the SKA Era, which will be in Hobart 15 to 17 June (straight after the
ASKAP16 meeting in Sydney). This is a follow on from the introductory
meeting in Japan (Kagoshima, March). Registration is open and the deadline
for requesting presentations is *May 8th*, but for requesting support the
deadline is *April 30th*.

*The SKA promises to be the fundamental instrument in radio astronomy for
the coming century, but to utilise its amazing power we will need to
develop new techniques. Australia is one of the co-hosts of the SKA
facility, and additionally has a number of pathfinders in place now. One
area which will require improvement is the calibration of the long baseline
data at low frequencies. This is an area in which Japan has a great deal of
strength. These meetings will bring together Australian representatives
with Japanese colleagues to consider how we can collaborate on this issue,
making a significant contribution to the SKA project.*

The meeting in Tasmania will focus on higher level research talks related
to low frequency astrometry methods for the SKA, to follow on from the
introductory school presented in Kagoshima. In particular we will explore
methodologies drawn from multiple fields and the instrumental tools and
facilities where innovative ideas can be tested in the near term.

Organization of this school is supported by the Australian Department of
Foreign Affairs and Trade, so registration is free. Furthermore some
limited financial support should be available.

Title: Australia-Japan School on Low Frequency Astrometry in the SKA Era
Dates/time: from 15 to 17 June, 2016
Venue: School of Physics and Mathematics, University of Tasmania, Hobart
SOC: S. Ellingsen, (chair), R. Dodson, M. Rioja, H. Imai, K. Bekki, M. Honma
LOC: S. Ellingsen (chair), L. Hyland, L. Plank, K Bradford

Draft program:

Session Summary
*Science Goals*:
The outcomes from astrometric measurements using very long baseline
interferometers and the SKA.

*Science and Methods from Astrometry*:
Mark Reid: BeSSel Survey
Maria Rioja: Next Generation Methods for Astrometry

*Astrometric results at Low Frequencies* including:
Ellingsen: Methanol Masers
Imai: OH Masers,
TBC: Pulsars

*Very low frequencies observations with Pathfinders*
*Pathfinders* including:
ATCA/ASKAP
MWA
GMRT
LBA/VLBA

*Geodetic results* including:
Lovell: AuScope results
Geodetic data products for VLBI (e.g. GPS solutions for atmospheric
calibration)
Other weather-model data products

*Propagation Media Effects*:
Geophysical estimates and calibration methods for the atmospheric
contributions on long baselines.

*Innovative Methods* including:
TBC: In-beam calibration strategies
Dodson: Multi-frequency Methods for Astrometric VLBI
Orosz: Multi-calibrator Methods for Astrometric VLBI

Talks will be in the Morning sessions, with practical demonstrations of new
methods in the afternoons