Fw: KaVA call for proposals 2018A

From: <Philip.Edwards_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:40:55 +0000

********************************
Call for Proposals of KaVA (KVN and VERA Array) 2018A
Deadline: 1st November, 2018, 08:00 UT
*********************************

Dear Colleagues.

We invite proposals for the open use observations of the KaVA,
http://radio.kasi.re.kr/kava/main_kava.php
a joint VLBI array of
the KVN (Korean VLBI Network) and the VERA (VLBI exploration of Radio Astrometry).
The joint array consists of three 21-m KVN telescopes and
four 20-m VERA telescopes, with baseline lengths ranging from 300 km to 2300 km.

This open use call will be based on risk-share, and provide VLBI observations at
22GHz and 43GHz for astronomers in the world.
We support astronomers in the preparation of proposals, scheduling, and data analysis.
For that reason, for proposers who are not familiar with KaVA, they are recommended to include
at least one collaborator from VERA or KVN. If it is difficult to find collaborators
from VERA or KVN, please consult us to find one.
The contact address for the support is kavaprop (at-mark) kasi.re.kr<http://kasi.re.kr>.

In order to avoid conflict and/or duplication of the targets between open use proposals
and LPswith existing KaVA Large Programs, proposers are highly recommended
to visit KaVA Large Program (LP) webpage where KaVA LPs and their source list are presented.
http://radio.kasi.re.kr/kava/large_programs.php

If the open use proposals can not be achieved with the data of LPs,
then they will be accepted as separate open use observations.
Otherwise, we encourage the proposers to collaborate with the science teams of
the corresponding KaVA LPs.
Observations will be conducted with single polarization (LCP) and 1-Gbps data rate.
>From this call, KaVA will offer a new C2 wideband (128MHz x 2 IFs) mode for 43GHz.
And, at the correlation, an accumulation period of 0.2 sec becomes available
in the C2 mode observation. Please consult the KaVA status for the details.

The total available observation time is up to 250 hours and the observations will be
scheduled between 15th January 2018 and 15th June 2018. The maximum observing
time per proposal is limited to 100 hours.
If requested in the proposals, the observation time can be allocated over a year,
until 15th January 2019, for this call. But the observation time will be still limited to 100 hours.
The deadline of submission is at 08:00 UT on 1st November 2017.
Detailed information on the KaVA call-for-proposal can be found in
http://radio.kasi.re.kr/kava/proposal_info.php

ToO opportunity
It is strongly recommended that Target of Opportunity proposals (especially expected ToO)
are submitted to regular CfP of KaVA.
Unexpected or urgent ToO can be submitted to ask ?Director?s time? at any time.
These proposals must include specific triggering criteria to initiate an observation.
The ToO is valid for one year when it is approved. The proposals to Director's time
must be submitted by PDF files using e-mail to kavaprop (at-mark) kasi.re.kr<http://kasi.re.kr>.

Recovery Observation
If an open use observation has more than one missing stations due to system trouble
and/or very severe weather condition (e.g. strong wind by typhoon),
PI can request recovery observation within a year after receiving the correlated data.
PI should resubmit the proposal which should clarify the necessity of recovery observation.
The KaVA TAC will consider the time allocation of the recovery observations for the next season.

If you have any questions, please send an email to kavaprop (at-mark)kasi.re.kr<http://kasi.re.kr>

Sincerely,

                   Hyun-Goo Kim
                   Director of Radio Astronomy Division, KASI
                      and
                   Mareki Honma
                   Director of Mizusawa VLBI Observatory, NAOJ

--
Sohn, Bong Won