at the ATNF in Epping, Sydney
- March 9/10, 2000 -
AGENDA FOR THE ATUC MEETING ON MARCH 9/10, 2000.
MEETING TO BE HELD AT THE ATNF IN EPPING, SYDNEY
Open Session: Thursday, 9th of March
(starting at 1:30pm - ATNF, Lecture Theatre,
teleconf. phone: x4610)
- Welcome & Introduction (Anne Green, 15min.)
- Director's Report (Ron Ekers, 30min.)
Future Development Plans (John Brooks, 20min.)
- Observatory reports
- Parkes (John Reynolds, 15min.)
- VLBI (Tasso Tzioumis, 5min.)
(Dave McConnell, 20min.)
- UNSW - Mopra 2000: status and science (Ramesh Balasubramanyam, 10min.)
22GHz calibrators (Bob Sault, 10min.)
- 3mm /
(Bärbel Koribalski, 10min.,
see the latest
MNRF meeting minutes)
- Correlator upgrades and AMIBA (Warwick Wilson, 10min.)
- International Activities: SEST, ITU (John Whiteoak, 10min.)
- Square Kilometre Array (Peter Hall, 10min.)
- RFI Mitigation (Jon Bell, 10min., see
- Outreach Activities (Ray Norris, 10min.)
Closed Session: Friday, 10th of March
(starting at 9:30am - ATNF, Lecture Theatre)
Additional agenda items
MATTERS ARISING FROM THE
#9 Access to ToO and NAPA data ? No such projects at Parkes/Mopra ?
See the Target of Opportunity
and NAPA Information on the web, including project names, positions and
some results. Alternately, see the
ATNF Projects Database Search and specify the "Proposal Type".
Currently there are 12 ATCA ToO projects listed (CX001 to CX012) and
6 ATCA NAPA projects (e.g. C611, C614).
- Triennium plan:
(A) The Outreach program has now become a target area -
does ATUC support establishment of PhD studentships:
(a) total funding of 1 (high value?)
(B) If the ATNF budget is further increased, do the priorities from 1999
still hold ?
(b) top-up to all ATNF students
(c) top-up selected few - one per University?
March 1999 ATUC report and
- 2GHz++ correlator: have the science priorities for the 2 GHz broad
band correlator evolved? What specifications would be most useful?
See the old
- 7mm system: any overlap with AMIBA?
See the old
- ATCA-Mopra fibre link
See the old
- Key performance indicators (KPI2) related to users. Should we assume
a more pro-active role in monitoring the outcomes? Committee changes
regularly - hard to keep track of issues.
How good is the communication between ATNF and users ?
- ATNF News
- ATUC has been asked how many issues per year are optimal
(3 at present linked to Observing terms) and is timing suitable or
is it too rushed because it clashes with Proposal deadlines?
- Should ATNF promote the
SETI@home II request ? (see summary)
What is the likely outcome and does it need resources?
How much effort to be viable?
- Does ATUC approve of the new system for cost free tapes/CDROMs unless
a heavy user? Is method of establishing cost equitable?
(Note: this item was raised in ATUC Nov 1998)
- Should criteria for Remote Observing be tightened? Upgrade criteria
on web page? Discretion to remain with Dave McConnell.
(Note: do we know how often the request is refused?)
- Bob Sault is to be congratulated for his work on the
22 GHz calibrators.
Does he need increased resources for the next step?
Who should be responsible for the ATCA calibrators generally?
(Note: ATUC has raised the general issue before)
- Does ATUC have any recommendations or comments on the currently
proposed MNRF 3mm system?
- Does ATUC have comments on the progress of the RFI excision component
for the 50 cm receiver? Are developments proceeding in line with
earlier priorities? (see summary)
can and should ATNF get involved ?
- What science can be done with the ATCA once ALMA is commisssioned?
- Other business ?
- Next meeting ? Present format suitable ?
- Suggestions for future members?
- Report to Director