at the ATNF in Epping, Sydney
- March 23, 1999 -
AGENDA FOR THE ATUC MEETING ON TUESDAY, MARCH 23, 1999.
MEETING TO BE HELD AT THE ATNF IN EPPING, SYDNEY
Open Session (9:00 - 12:00)
- Welcome & Introduction (Anne Green, 5min.)
- Director's Report (John Brooks, 20min.)
- Observatory reports
- ATCA/Mopra (Ravi Subrahmanyan, 20min.)
- Parkes/VLBI (John Reynolds, 20min.)
- Publication Analysis (Jessica Chapman, 5min.)
- RFI Mitigation update
(Peter Hall, 5min.)
- The Future of AIPS
(Neil Killeen, 5min.)
- Parkes spectral ripple
(Lister Staveley-Smith, 5min.)
- Triennium Funding - Science Cases
Closed Session (13:00 - 17:00)
- ATUC Business Meeting - Preliminary Items
- Additional Agenda Items
- Matters arising from the Director's response to the previous ATUC Report
- Business matters:
Issues concerning Triennium funding:
- Triennium funding (2000-2003).
ATUC has been asked to assign priorities
for a few additional projects (which were not discussed in the previous
meeting) as a guide to the Steering Committee, which is to make
recommendations for the next funding cycle for CSIRO. The science cases
have been presented in the open session.
- 2GHz bandwidth upgrade to the ATCA
(was considered less important by ATUC in prioritising the
triennium funding options during the last meeting)
- Real time fibre link between Mopra and ATCA
- ATCA operators
- Full 7mm system
- Triennium funding (1997-2000). ATUC has been asked to comment on the
"Objectives and Key Potential Outcomes 1997-2000 --- National Facility
Operation" from the last triennium plan:
- Operate, and provide access to, the observatories, the VLBI
facility, and data reduction facilities, to the satisfaction of
the community of scientific users.
- Schedule at least 50% of time on the Parkes and Narrabri telescopes
for astronomical observations, and ensure that time lost during
scheduled observing periods as a result of instrumentation failures
will be less than 5%.
- Develop operational support for space VLBI missions and geodesy
- Provide the appropriate tools and information to ATNF users to
enable them to extract the most science from their research.
- Make the public aware of the sector through successful operation
of the Parkes and Narrabri visitor's centres.
- How responsive is ATNF to suggestions by ATUC ?
(question from the AT Steering Committee)
What are the key performance indicators to be noted ?
Issues concerning ATCA & Mopra:
- What is the value and potential of real time
data processing ? (possible demonstration)
- Is there a scientific advantage if the new EW stations (352, 367)
are both offered in one observing term ?
- Would it be useful for the Narrabri DA to carry a beeper ?
Issues concerning Parkes:
- Parkes spectral ripple:
can ATUC comment on the proposed modifications ?
- How broad is the interest in the Bonn Polarimeter ?
Issues concerning VLBI:
- What are the implications of establishing a VLBI Centre in Hobart ?
(SRC proposal has been submitted this year)
- ATUC has been asked to comment on the publication analysis, especially
on the difference in publication output between Australian and
- What is the time scale for withdrawing AIPS
- Should the Epping visitor lodge be improved ?
Specifically, should shared rooms be discontinued ?
- Next meeting - two days in November, 1999
- Suggestions to the Steering Committee for future members of ATUC.
- Other business?
- Report to the Director.