Australian Academy of Science
As many of you will be aware, the Australian astronomical community carries out a formal strategic planning process on a 10-year time scale; with reviews as/when appropriate. This process is run by the National Committee for Astronomy and provides the opportunity for Australian astronomy to carry out a stocktake of its capabilties, assess its impact both nationally and internationally, provide a vision for the future and to set priorities and develop strategies on how that vision might be implemented.
The resultant Decadal Plan can then be used as a highly influential document to present our vision to key stakeholders outside the research sector. This includes Australian Astronomy's key stakeholder, the Commonwealth Government, as well as industrial/research partners both nationally and internationally.
The currency of the last Decadal planning process ran from 1995-2005; with a mid-term review in 2001. It is now time, therefore to consider the next Decadal planning process for the period 2006-15.
Working GroupsWorking Group Terms of Reference, Context and Guidelines Working Groups members
TimescaleThe following time scale was also proposed:
- Receive feedback on process August 13
- Deadline for expressions of interest in serving on WGs: August 13
- Distribute final outline of process/WG membership to community: September 10
- National Workshop End-Sep (Date/Location TBA)
- WG activity Sep/Oct 04 - Apr 05
- WG progress report to NCA Dec 04
- Editorial Integration May/June 05
- Community Review July 05 (ASA meeting)
- Plan Published Sep 05
Consistent with that time scale the community are now asked to:
- provide feedback on the draft WG structure and time scale
- submit any expressions of interest in becoming a member of an appropriate WG
Please provide your input to me at the following email address: email@example.com.
The deadline for submissions is August 13.
Editorial BoardEditorial Board Members:
Brian Boyle (Chair)
Editorial Board Terms of Reference