This document lists, in reverse chronological order, changes
made to Tempo since version 11.000.
To the Tempo installation
- Version 11.010 (April 2005, only installed at ATNF at present)
- Reads and writes par files in format produced by ATNF pulsar catalogue.
- Added binary model BTJ which allow jumps in Keplerian binary
parameters at specified times.
- Corrected error in Kepler's equation algorithm in binary BT models
which prevented convergence in some situations.
- Corrected error in A1-UTC routine which introduced a 2.5ms error into
TOAs earlier than 1972.0 (MJD 41317.0)
- Version 11.005 (May 2000)
- (Includes contributions and fixes from Z. Arzoumanian,
R. Dodson, A. Lommen, C. Cutler, E. Splaver, R. Manchester,
- Added new binary model BTX, an extension of the BT
model: uses binary frequency (FB) and its derivatives (FB_x)
instead of binary period; allows many derivatives of orbit
size (XDOT_x); allows instantaneous 'jumps' in binary
frequency (FBJ_x, TFBJ_x).
- Added dynamic memory allocation. To override default
max number of TOAs or parameters use -m or -l, e.g.,
"tempo 0833.a -m 200000" for up to 200000 TOAs. If
max number of TOAs is exceeded, tempo will read through
the entire TOA file(s), find the total number of TOAs,
re-allocate memory on the fly, and start again. (This
is less efficient than specifying the right number in the
- Added NTOA (number of toas) and TRES (residual) to output
- Added output of "information" lines. Cards starting with
"INFO" may be included in the TOA section of the input file.
If such cards are present, an ASCII file "info.tmp" is written
with one line per TOA. Each line lists the information on the
most recent "INFO" card. This is useful for separating
different subsets of data in post-Tempo processing. For example,
if a Tempo file contains TOAs
from two data recording systems, put card "INFO 1" before
TOAs from system 1 and "INFO 2" before TOAs from system 2.
Plotting programs can then read "info.tmp" and determine which
TOAs came from which system. "INFO" cards may have any mix
of ASCII characters, including spaces.
- Added -c option to force iteration even if the rms
changes by less than
1 part in 1e4 (the usual stop criterion).
- Added "EMAX xxx" and "EMAP yyy" to ignore TOAs with error
higher than xxx microseconds or yyy periods.
- Re-wrote command line parser to allow flexible ordering of
options and parameters as well as combination of options
(e.g., "tempo -oz" for "tempo -o -z").
- Improved accuracy of Solar System Shapiro delay calculation.
(Formerly used circular model for Earth's orbit.)
- Allow Princeton-style TOAs with non-blank column 2.
- Reworked internal indexing of parameters to ease future
addition of new parameters.
- Use higher-precision MJDs internally when calculating of
polyco.dat ephemerides. Also treat the precision of polyco.dat
reference times with more care, eliminating several-hundred
nanosecond jitter between sets of polynomial coefficients.
- Numerous minor bug fixes.
- Version 11.004 (October 1998)
- Added option '-no xxx' to write pulse numbers to file xxx.
- Added option '-ni xxx' to read pulse numbers from file xxx,
used instead of internally calculated pulse numbers
- Added option '-j' to write offset values to the output parameter
file (with form "JUMP_nn").
- Read in and interpret "JUMP_nn" header parameter.
- Added 'GAIN' header command to vary the fraction of calculated
parameter corrections added to parameters on each iteration.
- Fixed bug in DDGR fit for MTOT in systems dominated by
- Allow 'INCLUDE' cards in time.dat file.
- Fixed bug in composite proper motion uncertainty calculation.
- Incorporate covariances where appropriate in uncertainties
of calculated parameters (proper motion, mass function, ....)
- Added output of calculated binary parameters to parameter file.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
- tdbgen.f -- added byte reversal for bigendian machines.
- Version 11.003 (May 1998)
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
- More glitches allowed.
- TASC parameter allowed for binary model BT.
- Version 11.002 (March 1998)
- Added new binary model "ELL1" for low-eccentricity
orbits. Instead of OMEGA and E, the model fits for
Laplace parameters EPS1 (=E*sin(OMEGA)) and EPS2 (=E*cos(OMEGA)).
Input parameters OMEGA and E will be converted to EPS1
and EPS2 if necessary. Time of ascending node (T0ASC) must
be used instead of time of periastron passage (T0). Derivatives
EPS1DOT and EPS2DOT may also be fit.
- Model "DD+" renamed "MSS" (for "Main Sequence Star").
Second derivative of OMEGA and X added.
- POSEPOCH implemented - epoch (MJD) of position. Defaults to PEPOCH.
- Control parameters START and FINISH added. On input, if the
set, they delimit the MJD range of the fit. On output (in the
they give the actual data range fitted.
- Improved determination of glitch epoch.
- Rms fit error added to polyco.dat.
- Command line option -h added.
- Version 11.001 (Jan-Feb 1998)
- Allow fitting in ecliptic coordinates (BETA, LAMBDA,
- Fixed year-2000 bugs.
- Fixed minor bugs found under compilation by g77 and
To the Tempo 11 reference
Back to main Tempo page.