3D Visualisation for Astronomy
Here we look at a range of 3D visualisation tools suitable for analysing large astronomical data cubes (which are typically in FITS format). WALLABY data cubes obtained from a single ASKAP pointing will be large, about 6k x 6k x 16,384 channels, i.e. 620 Giga voxels or 2.5 TByte. - We are in the process of defining our 3D visualisation needs for WALLABY.
- 2009, Feb 4/5 3D Visualisation Conf. @ ATNF
- 2009, Dec 14-16 AstroMed09 @ Sydney Uni; selected talks:
- Critical Review of Scientific Visualisation in Astronomy (by Chris Fluke)
- Visualisation-directed interactive model-fitting to spectral data cubes (by Chris Fluke)
- GPU-based volumne rendering of noisy multi-spectral astronopmical data (by Amr Hassan)
- Challenges for Source finding in Radio Astronomy (by Tara Murphy)
- 3D Source Finding in Radio Astronomy (by Matthew Whiting)
- 2010, Apr 7, internal ATNF meeting re databases / catalogs - my notes
- 2010, Apr 28, 3D Visualisation workshop @ ATNF
Giant HIPASS cube of the whole southern sky made by Russell Jurek (ATNF) from the existing set of 387 original southern HIPASS cubes. 3D Visualisation by Amr Hassan (Swinburne University of Technology).
- 2010, May 16?, internal ATNF workshop
Swinburne Visualisation Research
- Key people in the WALLABY team: David Barnes, Chris Fluke, and Amr Hassan
- Real-time, interactive GPU based volume rendering (e.g. HIPASS in 3D)
PhD student Amr Hassan demonstrates an 8000 x 8000 pixel volume rendering of a full southern sky HIPASS cube on the CSIRO OptiPortal during the 3D Visualisation Workshop @ ATNF. The giant cube was made by Russell Jurek (ATNF) from the existing set of 387 original southern HIPASS cubes.
- KARMA (interactive 2D viewing and analysis of 3D astronomical data cubes; 3D cube animations with XRAY; limited to cubes sizes less than ??)
- CASA Viewer in casapy (interactive 2D viewing and analysis of 3D cubes)
(interactive 3D viewing and analysis of large data tables)
- FITS and HDF5 data formats will be included in future
- described in "VisIVO - Integrated Tools and Services for Large-Scale Astrophysical Visualization"
- Harvard AstroMed 3D Slicer and 3D Slicer
- WASP - Paul Bourke
- CSIRO's eResearch (Advanced Scientific Computing, Data Management Services, Visualisation, Software Development Tools, etc.)
- Longhorn Vis Portal"
Ideas / Links
- 3D ALIVE - Monash's Interactive 3D Visualisation Facility
- CSIRO OptiPortal
- Related: Wiki Sky, Google Sky, Zoomable Spitzer images