Next: Young Energetic pulsars
Up: A Tutorial on Radio
Previous: The population of millisecond
- Assuming a thin-screen model, calculate the apparent angular diameter
of the Crab pulsar at 600 MHz. Assume that the apparent angular diameter =
100mas at 100 MHz.
- Calculate the apparent angular diameter at 600 MHz if the screen is
located at 1% of the distance from the pulsar to the Earth. Hint: write
down a formula for the geometry in question 1 and the make a substitution
for the distance from the pulsar to the screen.
- Calculate the parallax's for pulsars with distances of 100,
500, 1000, 5000, 10000 parsecs.
- Would it be possible to measure these parallax's using MERLIN? Why? If
so suggest an observational strategy ie how many epochs of observations and
how you would space them.
- Compare the characteristic age of the Crab pulsar with the time since
Chinese astronomers observed the supernova that formed the pulsar. Try
using the Princeton pulsar catalog service on the WWW to get the parameters
- Calculate the birth period of a pulsar which has the following
parameters: P = 1.87 ms, n = 3, t = 5 billion years and . Why is this number interesting?
Thu Dec 19 15:15:11 GMT 1996