User Tools

Site Tools


lbaops:telecon2009may21

VLBI teleconference, 21 May 2009

12.00 Perth, 14.00 Eastern, 16.00 New Zealand

Phone:

Vic:03 9545 8222
NSW:02 9490 8022
ACT:02 6276 6622
Qld:07 3214 2311
WA:08 6436 8844
SA:08 8273 8122
NT:08 8944 8488
Tas:03 6232 5188

Meeting ID: 4253

Chair: Tasso Tzioumis

Attendance:

Tingay, Moin, C. Hotan, A. Hotan (Curtin); Tzioumis, Phillips (ATNF Marsfield); Ellingsen (Hobart); Stevens, Edwards (ATNF Narrabri); Rioja, Dodson (UWA); Gulyav, Nanush (NZ); Horiuchi (Tid); Titov (Canberra)

Apologies: C. Reynolds, Bignall

Agenda

  • Reports
    • GMRT-Mopra test observation
    • ToO proposals.
  • Update on ASKAP VLBI EoI (Tingay)
    • Actions?
  • Data from TIGO, O'Higgins (USB disks)
    • Need to streamline?
    • South American telescopes in LBA. Substitute for Hart?
  • Update on Curtin cluster at Narrabri (Phillips/Amy)
  • Feb 2010 VLBI meetings
    • IVS meeting in Hobart (Lovell)
    • Astro meetings in NZ (Tingay)
    • LBA ops/eVLBI mtg?
  • Update on New Zealand antenna (Gulyaev)
  • AuScope Update (Lovell)
  • Observations next semester
    • General issues (Tzioumis/Phillips/Edwards)
    • Support (Tzioumis)
    • Disks (Claire)
    • Transfers (Claire/Hayley/Chris)
  • AOB

Actions arising

(new items in blue)

GENERAL

  • Swinburne archive of correlated VLBI data to be moved to ATNF & Curtin at end of all Swinburne correlation (Steven/Claire) - update 28/01/09 - Swinburne correlation complete. Claire transferring data to Curtin. Will tidy up before sending on to ATNF. Claire to advise ATNF on archive size. 11/2/09 - in progress. 21/5/09: All data in archive. Will check and make available to ATNF.
  • Separating XRAID disk pools. All SWIN disks to be returned to Swinburne. Curtin has already done so. ATCA and Hobart ready to ship. (21/5/09). COMPLETED. 3/6/09
  • Provide additional advice to PIs on scheduling the ATCA to keep it phased up at 8 GHz and above (Tasso) - update 28/01/09 - Richard to have input regards polarisation properties. 11/2/09 - to be tested with observations in next session. Richard provided report. To be disseminated to community. (21/5/09)
    • New CABB systems may need experimentation to check best strategy and implementation for phasing the array. (Phil/Chris/Tasso)
  • List on the Wiki available bands/polarisations at each LBA antenna. Also update “standard bands” (from S2) and define “standard” bands for wide-band recording. (Cormac/Tasso). 11/2/09 - initial progress within SCHED. Will be further followed up.
  • Curtin Cluster at Narrabri: Networking done on 21/5/09. Will be configured and brought to operation (Chris/Shaun/Jamie)
    • 36 TB store on cluster may need configuring. Steven will initiate contact with IVEC expert.
  • ARCS transfers.
    • Prepare checklist for procedures for next session. (Claire)
    • Get observers to update disk usage on wiki (all)
    • Determine contact persons at telescopes for disk changes (Phil) DONE! (Jamie at Narrabri; Ettore at Parkes)
    • Prepare for 2nd phase of implementation of transfers, to include Hobart, Tid (via Canberra ARCS node) and Ceduna (via Adelaide ARCS node). Will need XRAIDs at ARCS nodes. To be explored with ARCS contacts (Steven).
  • Checklist for all LBA observations. (Tasso/Claire/Hayley)
  • Mk5 Disks. New units to be ordered for correlation in Curtin and/or Bonn. Steven and Tasso to coordinate.
  • Proposal to always correlate LBA data with all 4 Stokes, unless PI objects. Richard to write short justification
  • Unified LBA monitoring and control, to include Ho & Cd. (Jamie/Tasso)

NEXT OBSERVING SESSION

  • Observing support for next session
    • Observers organised for ATNF antennas. Tasso to coordinate.
    • Disks to observatories. Plenty of disks at Curtin. Claire/Tasso to coordinate

OTHER

  • VLBI ASKAP proposal from EoI. Draft to be circulated. (Steven) DONE
  • Collaborations with South America may be possible, to compensate for loss of Hart. TIGO (Chile), O'Higgins (Antarctica), Fortaleza (Brazil) & antenna in Peru. Tasso to investigate.
  • Next LBA ops/e-VLBI meeting next February, during IVS week in Hobart (8-12th). May be able to have LBA meeting Thu-Fri (11-12/02/2010). Tasso to explore and coordinate.
  • Next telecon: Thu 11 June, 2009, 2pm Sydney time (Tasso/Chris/Cormac)
lbaops/telecon2009may21.txt · Last modified: 2015/12/18 16:39 (external edit)