Re: Poll on the binary table proposals

From: <mcalabre_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:17:38 +1100

On Mon 2004/12/06 12:40:19 +1100, Mark Calabretta wrote
in a message to: AusFITS_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au

>Reminder, please let me know by tomorrow, particularly if you have any
>objections to the proposal.

Greetings,

I've not received any objections, though I did not hear from Jeremy or
Wim, so I will report that that there are no obstacles to a unanimous
vote.

Wim has effectively retired and will soon return to the Netherlands. To
replace him we now welcome Denis Sullivan from Victoria University of
Wellington (VUW), the first NZ member, and Aidan Hotan from Swinburne
University who is experienced in using FITS for pulsar data. Aidan is
currently writing up his Ph.D. so is allowed to keep a low profile for
a while! I've also asked for a representative from the University of
Canterbury (Mt. John Obs.) and Denis has kindly forwarded my request to
a number of other NZ astronomers.

Voting on FITS WCS Paper III (spectral coordinates) has been suspended
until -TAB is implemented. The proposal is rather technical, but in
reviewing it you are not expected to master all of the details -
software implementations will be provided. However, you will need to
consider whether it can handle spectral data from your instruments, or
any data that you're likely to want to handle. And of course, if you
see any glaring errors or omissions...

The draft has not changed substantially for a long time, minor changes
were last made on 2004/11/12:

   http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~egreisen/scs.ps.gz
   http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~mcalabre/WCS/index.html

Cheers, Mark