Re: Idea for Education Session

From: <Tony.Wong_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:42:29 +1000

Kate,

Perhaps we can defer this discussion until we see what kind of abstracts we
get for the education session. Career paths are interesting and will get
more postgrad students to attend the session, but first person testimonials
are most compelling. So I would encourage you to "invite" Paul Brooks to
speak (though we probably can't subsidize his attendance), given that he
seems to have a good story to tell, and there are few if any other
opportunities for him to tell it to an audience of astronomers.

What I'd really love to see in the education session is for someone to
present a multimedia tool that can do for astronomy education what Google
Maps has done for geography. Maybe the folks at Swinburne are on the right
track?

Hmm, maybe we should get a former astronomer working at Google to present
two talks. :)

--Tony

P.S. If I can go off on a bit of a tangent, I think it would be great to get
a young Aussie-trained astronomer working overseas to come back to give an
invited talk at *each* ASA. Not only do we hear about cutting-edge research
which probably began in Australia, but we could offer them the opportunity
(e.g. in an education session) to comment on what they think of the training
they received here. If some of my dues went to subsidize an invitation for
someone like Lisa Kewley to attend the ASA, I would consider it money well
spent. I think we would also realise that the majority of great PhDs we are
producing are women and it's time we had a Men in Astronomy session!!

P.P.S. Remember, the success of AAS meetings depends to a large extent on
the Prize Lectures and headline talks.
--
Tony Wong, ARC-CSIRO Linkage Postdoctoral Fellow
CSIRO Australia Telescope National Facility        +61-2-9372-4399