VOs & key projects: input requested.

From: <dbarnes_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:42:59 +1000 (EST)

Hi all,

a current action item on the IVOA executive, which was discussed
briefly on last night's telecon, relates to Virtual Observatories
and "Key Projects".

Within the IVOA, there is an action to develop a white paper
that defines what interfacing to a VO means from the point of
view of a large project. The paper is to include case studies,
and we are invited to suggest nationally important projects
which might be considered as part of the paper. This is an
excellent chance to ensure that our needs are catered for in
planning VO compliance statements for future projects.

Two projects come to mind - the Stromlo Southern Sky Survey
and the Radial Velocity Experiment - and I think these would
be good projects for Australia to "contribute" to this effort.

At this stage, I just need to pass on a couple of willing
projects' contact details to the IVOA exec. who will take it
from there.

So, if any willing contact/coordination people from the above
suggested projects or any others which might be suitable,
could let me know, I will collect the details and hand
them on to Peter Quinn, chair of IVOA.

thanks - David.